Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with Flowering Snowball Block >

Help with Flowering Snowball Block

Help with Flowering Snowball Block

Old 11-07-2021, 04:42 AM

Default Help with Flowering Snowball Block

I am having trouble with my blocks lying flat after carefully sewing them together! I cut the pieces with Accuquilt Flowering Snowball die (selvage edge lengthwise like the instructions say) but when I get them together, they don’t exactly lay flat - even after pressing. Any clues from someone who’s made this? Thanks! Teresa
Old 11-07-2021, 05:40 AM

JS, are you saying blocks don't lay flat after sewing a couple together? First suggestion I have is to measure them to make sure they are all the same size.
Old 11-07-2021, 05:50 AM

Yes I’m checking that - the individual blocks kind of lump up in the middle and won’t lay completely flat on the ironing board. I’m sure it may have something to do with my seams although I have a quarter inch seam guide on my sewing foot. Normally I am a stickler about perfect seams. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue - maybe something about that accuquilt die?
Old 11-07-2021, 06:00 AM

I don't have an Accuquilt, but I do know that when that many seams meet, it is likely that they won't lie flat. Some people solve it by ironing all the seams open before they sew them together. Others take a piece of board and put it on a solid surface, then put the seam on top of the board and then use a hammer to beat the seams flat. I'd cover the fresh fabric with something before hitting it. Or there are others like me that know that just iron the center as good as possible, then go ahead and quilt and the problem disappears when the quilt is washed and it fluffs up a little bit.
Old 11-07-2021, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

When I snowball a block, I usually press the seams towards the corners. If you press towards the centre, the centre will pop out a bit. That could be what you want, so press which way the block looks good to you. If you plan on sewing your snowball block right next to another snowball block, you may want to vary the direction of the seams so they can nest with the block next to it.
Old 11-07-2021, 08:31 AM

Did you see the tutorial? How did you sew the two pieces together?
The tutorial shows which piece should be on top and the pressing steps.

https://www.accuquilt.com/go-floweri...-finished.html

I also press and starch fabrics well before cutting with the dies.
Old 11-07-2021, 08:49 AM

Are you pressing your seams open or to one side? Are your seams meeting right at the edge of where the dog ears are cut off? I love the Accuquilt system and these are two of the most common problems. I discovered a long time ago that their 1/4" was not my 1/4" now I have it mastered and most everything will lay flat I also use a wool cutting matt. This can make a big difference. You should not have to square up the block as they are designed to be a perfect match to each other. If I do manage to get off I don't worry to much as the blocks are designed to match. I know that by the time I bat and back the quilt and then quilt it is going to be perfect!
Old 11-08-2021, 06:32 AM

look up How to Spin seams on quilt blocks. it does help. not always necessary but with yours it sounds like what you need.
Old 11-08-2021, 11:02 AM

Thanks everyone- I do use a wool ironing mat. May have to get some spray starch! And yes I listened to 2 tutorials and for sure have found that on this block I need to use a scant quarter! I have used accuquilt due cutters for years because of a pinched Ulnar nerve that affects my right hand! This die has been the most challenging for sure! May stop and make it a twin quilt instead of the King I was shooting for!