Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with FMQ Problem >

Help with FMQ Problem

Help with FMQ Problem

Old 10-16-2018, 02:56 PM

Default Help with FMQ Problem

I've been doing FMQ with my domestic machine for several years. I do all of my own quilts and not an expert by any means, but I do OK. But the quilt I'm currently doing is just not turning out the way I want. One problem that I haven't had before is little knots where I change direction. I've tried stopping briefly then changing direction and I've tried a continuous movement. I've tried googling but I can't seem to get the wording right to fine help. My other problem is I don't like the thread color. Trying to use a neutral gray but it shows up too much on the dark navy patches for me. I'm thinking of taking out all the quilting but still need to know what is causing the knots and how to blend the light and dark blocks. This is not fun, but each day I keep doing more quilting, thinking it may be ok when it is done. Any ideas???
Old 10-16-2018, 05:37 PM
Power Poster

Little knots or thread build ups are caused by the needle stitching in place. I sometimes get them as I pause to reposition my hands to move my quilt. I try to remind myself to lift my foot off the pedal before repositioning the quilt and my hands.