Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with FMQ, understanding eyelashing >

Help with FMQ, understanding eyelashing

Help with FMQ, understanding eyelashing

Old 05-01-2020, 07:58 PM

Default Help with FMQ, understanding eyelashing

Hi! So recently I started my first quilt with free motion quilting and I experienced some eyelashes or loops on the back of my quilt in just a few places. I figured out to problem and I personally do not think these are noticeable because of my patterned backing and the thread I chose.

So my question is, do I have to rip them out? Are these places insecure, as in will they come undone? If so, what about the places where it’s not actually eyelashing, but the bonbon thread is “flat” on the back of the quilt?

thanks
Old 05-02-2020, 04:43 AM

It depends on the severity and who is getting it. Sometimes you get more of just a pull on the threads, you can find them if you look for them. If it's for me, then it's usually good enough. I have a lot of problems with me/my machine doing small loops and going up and backwards, that's when I get that sort of thing.

Other times you get noticeable loops you can feel or can get fingers/toes caught in, those need to go. I cut out the stitches and repair just those areas, trying to go in a different direction than I did before.

I mark the areas to redo with safety pins, means there is something I need to do there.

And sometimes the whole back of the quilt looks like a caterpillar nest. Nothing to do in that case but take it all out once you are done crying....

Old 05-02-2020, 04:58 AM
Power Poster

The thread laying on the back surface of the quilt will pull up when the quilt is washed. As for eye lashes, I fix them.
Old 05-02-2020, 05:33 AM

I usually 'try' to fix all the eyelashes and loops on the back of a quilt. They tend to happen when I go side to side or backwards. I have to go more slowly with changing directions. I will check every so often so I don't end up try to find every little flaw when the quilting it done. My snipper is always close by.