Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with Free-motion quilting Breaking too many needles >

Help with Free-motion quilting Breaking too many needles

Help with Free-motion quilting Breaking too many needles

Old 12-22-2009, 08:17 AM
Dkm

I read all the other suggestions and they are right on. Here's another one. Does your machine have a 1/2 speed or can you adjust the machine speed. Remember to bring up your bobbin thread and when you start sewing don't jerk to get started. Make you some quilt sandwiches and practice first, then move on over to your project. Relax and enjoy your creativity.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:00 PM

Hus has what is called FAB U MOTION I bought one & it is wonderful
Old 12-22-2009, 06:33 PM

I found the reson for breaking needles is that you are moving your fabic to fast. try slowing down and make sure your thread is not catching on anything. hope this helps. Hot Grandma well my grandaughter thinks so anyway.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:56 PM

I also have a husquvarna and had the same problem with the needle and the thread, tried all I could think of as well as the problem solver section in the handbook. It turned out to be the thread, was using gutterman varigated @ $13.99 for 300yrds. But it could be worse the machine could have been at fault.
Another thing that can happen is if you move your hands faster than the needle is going you will break needle as it gets pulled to the side and hits the needle plate. hope this helps.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:42 PM
Power Poster

Some of the varigated thread is a little thicker. Try using a topstitch or embroidery needle, that should keep your thread from breaking :D:D:D
Old 12-23-2009, 04:36 AM

good suggestions ... the bigger needle (and, just because a needle is new, doesn't mean that the needle doesn't have burrs - - nothing is perfect <g>)
The hopping/darning/embroidery foot (and, I found out that if you don't lower the presser foot, even though it isn't touching the fabric, your life won't be worth nothin'! <g>)
And, slowing down ... not moving your hands as fast as the machine is going ... a little like patting your head and rubbing your tummy, but a consistent, moderate speed will make a nice stitch, (a good tip even for those of us with stitch regulators )
And, bring your bobbin thread up to the top of the quilt BEFORE you take off quilting ... it is the only way I know of to avoid a rat's nest in the back, and if you have never had one - - you will ... even quilting machines require that one step ...
Enjoy! <wave>
Old 12-23-2009, 04:46 AM

What stitch length are you using? I had been told to set it at 0 now that really broke my needle a lot as I was trying to move the quilt while the needle was down. I change it to 2 and it works great but I am still afraid to FMQ because I hate the needle breaking sound - I scream and my dog runs through the house barking and this wakes my husband - that opens a whole can of different issues. Good luck Emily
Old 12-23-2009, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

:lol: :lol: Emily....you seem to have a whole nest of problems past the needle breaking... :lol: :lol:
Old 12-23-2009, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Extreme Quilter
My bobbin winder on my Viking Designer I sometimes winds threads too tightly. If I happen to be free motion quilting quickly, the bobbin thread pulls on the needle and causes it to break. If I unwind a few inches of thread from the bottom and cut it off, I'm sometimes lucky enough to reach a part of the bottom that has been wound better and then my fmq goes smoothly. If not, I change my bobbin and try again.
I have Viking Designer 1 & never had problems with the bobbin winder. Did you ask your dealer about it?
Old 12-23-2009, 09:47 PM

I just finished a king sized color falls quilt that I fmq'd on my Viking Sapphire. I w as breaking needles too, until I realized that I didn't have the quilt supported well enough on the table, and it was pulling just enough against the needle to let it hit the plate. Try making sure that all the weight is supported well on the table or on your shoulders.