Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help with fusibles/  machine applique >

help with fusibles/ machine applique

help with fusibles/ machine applique

Old 11-25-2011, 03:39 PM

Default help with fusibles/ machine applique

Greetings! I hope everyone had a magnificent holiday. I have a question about fusible applique. I have completed a practice block or two using Misty Fuse and it turns out great--no fraying. Then I attempt to stitch around the applique and it feathers/ separates. I'm guessing I need a different needle. Right now, since I've only been practicing , I still have a standard 90/14 universal in my machine. Any thoughts on where I should go first?
Old 11-25-2011, 04:01 PM
Power Poster

If feathering is a problem, you will have more success with a closer satin stitch edge. If you don't want to do satin stitch (I perfer buttonhole) a smaller needle may help. I also like to use a heavier black thread, Sulky Premium 12 wt. cotton. I make sure the part of the stitch that goes along my applique runs right on the edge with the black thread covering the edge. I don't know if it comes in different colours because I like the black. I always use Wonder Under for my applique and remove the center portion. It can still be a bit stiff and I want to try Misty Fuse on my next project. Hope you can get it worked out and maybe someone else will have more hints for you.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:04 PM

I haven't used Misty Fuse but once ... and didn't like it as it didn't hold. I like Steam a Seam light or 2 without any problems.

ali
Old 11-25-2011, 06:52 PM

Thank you for the replies. I will consider all the advice. I really appreciate it. Thank you!
Old 11-25-2011, 06:57 PM

Use a microtex (sharp) needle. Universals have rounded points and combined with the fusible, they kind of punch rather than pierce the fabric. Misty Fuse is great stuff; I love it.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:58 PM

I haven't done fusible applique but I do know that universal needles have a ball point & are supposed to be used on knits. Would a different needle work better?? I hope that you figure out the problem.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:23 AM

Me, too. And I do a lot of it. I love Steam a Seam Light.
Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
I haven't used Misty Fuse but once ... and didn't like it as it didn't hold. I like Steam a Seam light or 2 without any problems.

ali
Old 11-26-2011, 09:43 AM

Thank you again for the tips. I had trouble with fraying when I used Steam a Seam but I suspect I wasn't letting the pieces cool before I removed the paper. I'm going to try that stuff again armed with better knowledge and a little more experience.