Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: help to get started!

new user
    Lil embarrasing but got to ask now.I don't know q of puilt but very much excited to get started with my 1st project.Can anyone help me by telling me how to jump start. I really need to know the basics.
    Thanks!

Power Poster
    Hi there,hi from Ohio!

I would suggest going here-

http://quilting.about.com/od/beginni..._Beginners.htm

http://www.quilt.com/HowToPage.html

Good luck and have fun.

new user
    thanks alot!

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tulika
    Lil embarrasing but got to ask now.I don't know q of puilt but very much excited to get started with my 1st project.Can anyone help me by telling me how to jump start. I really need to know the basics.
    Thanks!
    Welcome.
    Easiest way would be to take a class at a LQS (local quilt shop) if you have one near you.
    They all have a beginner's class (hand or machine), which would teach you the basics.

If you don't want to or can't do that, then get yourself a beginner's book that will explain the steps, terminology, and have some simple projects for you to do.

Here are some starter books I would recommend, and find some really inexpensive (used) copies on Amazon:

Joy of Quilting
    http://www.amazon.com/Joy-Quilting-J...9200386&sr=8-1

Quilts Quilts Quilts
    http://www.amazon.com/Quilts-Complet...9200458&sr=1-1

Start Quilting/Alex Anderson
    http://www.amazon.com/Start-Quilting...9200525&sr=1-1

Along with the books, there are thousands of website and youtube videos available - just do a search the technique or term.
    It's always better to try to find the information yourself first - you never know what you'll stumble over. ;-)

If you find a term (or abbreviation) you're not familiar with, just Google it along with the word "quilt" and you'll probably find the definition on the first page of results.

As for buying equipment, your LQS will be able to help you but you can get the same tools at a Joann's or Michael's (if you're in the US) using one of their discount coupons, or WalMart (store or online).

If you're not in the US, there are also several hundred shops that sell tools/notions/fabric that do ship outside the US.

Have fun!!

new user
    thanks alot!Ya I brought some books from library but tha basic was lil difficult to understand.But now with ur help I'll try these sites.I'm in US & will try to follow ur suggestion.
    thanks!

Welcome from Kansas

cjk
    welcome from TN

Power Poster
    Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting from Ontario, Canada. You'll find lots of help here on the QB.The first pattern to start with that is easy is a 9 patch block. That is exactly what it sounds like, 9 squares of fabric layed out in a checkerboard pattern and stitched together to form a block. After you do some blocks, you decide how you want to stitch them together to form a quilt top. There is a tutorial on this board on Disappearing 9 patch which shows you how to recut the blocks to form a new pattern if your feeling adventurous.
    I am assuming that you have the regular sewing equipment already? If you don't have a sewing machine you can still hand sew a quilt together but it will take you a loooooong time. For quilting today a real time saver is a rotary cutter, ruler and mat. You can start with somthing small like a placemat or tablerunner first to get started. Good luck!

new user
    Quote Originally Posted by cjk
    welcome from TN
    Hey!Even I'm also located in Tn(Brentwood).Thanks!

new user
    hi! Thanks alot!I'm definitely going to start with a small one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan
    Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting from Ontario, Canada. You'll find lots of help here on the QB.The first pattern to start with that is easy is a 9 patch block. That is exactly what it sounds like, 9 squares of fabric layed out in a checkerboard pattern and stitched together to form a block. After you do some blocks, you decide how you want to stitch them together to form a quilt top. There is a tutorial on this board on Disappearing 9 patch which shows you how to recut the blocks to form a new pattern if your feeling adventurous.
    I am assuming that you have the regular sewing equipment already? If you don't have a sewing machine you can still hand sew a quilt together but it will take you a loooooong time. For quilting today a real time saver is a rotary cutter, ruler and mat. You can start with somthing small like a placemat or tablerunner first to get started. Good luck!

If you want to see if you like that process,you can buy a collection of charms(5" sqs.) and so them together first. Then you don't have to buy mats,rotary cutter,rulers,etc. until your sure you like it.Welcome from Ks.

new user
    Gud suggestion but I already have some spare fabric so wanna use them.Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by prairiequeen
    If you want to see if you like that process,you can buy a collection of charms(5" sqs.) and so them together first. Then you don't have to buy mats,rotary cutter,rulers,etc. until your sure you like it.Welcome from Ks.

Welcome to the world of quilting.

Hi from Ohio. I'm fairly new also and there are great resources on the internet. Just start googling how to make a quilt or free quilt patterns and you'll see lots of things for beginners. Also utube is great for guilting videos.

Welcome and more welcomes...I find quilting aan addiction...a healthys one...start small and simple. (remember as you sew, that puppy wil get bigger and bigger!). Take lessons whever you find them. Do you have a local quilt shop? Some of them will help you get started free, others for buying your fabic from them. Look for a local quilt quild, THESE LADIES WILL BE A GODSEND TO YOU!!! Welcome to your new passion/addiction. Relax/be crazy and most of all have fun!!!!

Blog Entries
    welcome from Ohio! You will learn a lot from this place! I consider myself a "newbie" to quilting but this place has given me the courage to try new things and if I mess up there is always help here! So again I say welcome and the biggest thing I can say to remember with this site - "There are no dumb questions!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan
    Welcome! Access youtube videos and advice from this board. Everyone here offers help, advice and wisdom. Sometimes just a good laugh, I love this board. I am a self-taught quilter and just finished my first project last nite. It is a queen size d9p, which I quilted on my dsm (domestic sewing machine). It took 3 months start to finish and I can't wait to tidy my room and start another. I could not have done it w/o the help of this board. You took the best first step - joining this forum! Good luck, trust your gut and have a wonderful time!

My very favorite quilt book is the Complete Book of Quilting by Better Homes and Gardens. I teach from it and it assumes you are a rank beginner. The pictures explain everything and the text is clear and easy to understand, unlike many other pattern directions. You will like this book. Try to get one on Amazon.com or half.com. Check back in and let us know how you are progressing. In addition, there are tons of quilters on board here who will help you. Good luck and happy quilting.

I like this book, was my first, very useful still. great investment
    Complete Guide to Quilting by Better Homes & Gardens (right now 8 dollars on amazon.com)

I also agree by taking a beginners class at your local LQS or even joanns has them, the teachers can help teach you how to rotary cut properly, and sometimes its easier to learn when you can see it rather than read it

Just RUN, as fast as you can! I accidentally got into quilting. Knew I wouldn't like it from the beginning.

Now have completed six quilts and I'm so proud of matching points (You'll find out what that means.)

Seriously, great links and advice on this board!

Blog Entries
    Thanks!
    AND stay tuned to this site; esp reading this part AND looking at the part with all the pictures of quilts etc. For a long time I just checked the part with everyone's pictures; would keep pictures of the ones I liked, and look up the patterns for that picture on Google and tutorials. That was neat enough. THEN I decided to check out this part of the site; and see what everyone was talking about. NOW I'm spending WAY too much time reading all of the suggestions and looking up MORE info on Google to make my life easier on Quilting. LOL I've quilted for years; but have sure learned a LOT since reading this site regularly!!!!! You've just made one of the best steps you could make in learning to quilt by checking out this site!!!! Happy quilting. :)

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I was in your shoes 2 years ago. Luckily our local quilt guild offers a 6 wk, 3hr weekly class for the price of membership that taught me all the basics, plus I'm now a member of a guild of great women that encourage you at every turn and always are learning themselves, so there are workshops, speakers,etc. You might check to see if a local guild does a similar program.

Sorry about this but there is a very good book called "Quilting for Dummies - A Reference for the Rest of Us!" I got it on Amazon and it was only $7.48 and it has been a great reference for starting quilting plus all the great information available from the Quilting Board.

You could get a Quilt in a Day book from Eleanor Burns.
    Eleanor has some real easy ways to make quilts. Get some of her first books She always worked with 2 1/2" strips.
    Have a lot of fun learning and if you make a mistake don't get upset because that is the way you learn You get hooked on quilting

Thanks!
    I would start by going to local library and look at the quilt books they have. Both of the library's near me have several shelves of Quilt books.
    I would think that picking out a very basic block and get it all sewed and pressed would be a great start, then make a block with more pieces like a 9 patch with border... or a basic Sampler Quilt... would be a Great introduction to quilts... Basic squares can be used for potholders, table toppers, or even to sew on to a totebag... lots of ideas can be found in those books with smaller projects... Good Luck...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast