Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with Guild Installation >

Help with Guild Installation

Help with Guild Installation

Old 04-12-2012, 06:15 PM

Question Help with Guild Installation

I am the president of a very small quilt guild. We are about to have the installation of the new officers. A few years ago the secretary had some cute verses or sayings she read for each officer. She had a stroke over a year ago and does not recall where these are. I would like to have something to say for each new incoming officer, we have gotten a little lax in the ceremony of this occasion. Anyone have anything from your guild I could use? Installation is this Sat. I thought we could find it in the old records but no luck. Also she tied each office with a fat quarter of fabric in different colors. Any help or suggestions will be welcomed.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Power Poster

I belong to two guilds and neither one has the installation of officers. This may be something new for my guilds to do. If you find the sayings please post them.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:30 PM

Some of the gals here on the QB have some nice sayings under their comments. Just look at the pages. One I copied down was: "I made quilts as fast as I could to keep my family warm, and as pretty as I could to keep my heart from breaking", A pioneer woman's dairy. Another one -"At the quilt bee, one might have learned...how to bring up'
babies, how to mend a cracked teapot, how to take out grease from brocade, how to reconcile absolute decrees and freewill, how to make five yards of cloth answer the purpose of six, and how to put down the Democratic Party" - Harriett Beecher Stowe. Another - "No matter how simple or traditional a pattern, the effect of a quilt is still absolutely original because no two people handle fabric and color the same way." - Beth Gutcheon Another one - "When I'm gone, ain't nobody goin' to think o' the floors I've swept...but when one of my grandchildren or great-grandchildren sees one o' these quillts, they'll think of Aunt Jane and wherever I am then, I'll know I'm not forgotten.: - Eliza Calvert Hall, Aunt Jane of Kentucky. Another - "I have found nothing so desirable for summer covers as the old-fashioned scrap quilt of which our Mothers were so proud. Every girl should piece one at least to carry away to her husband's house. And if her lot happens to be cast among strangers, the quilt, when she unfolds it, will seem like the face of a familiar friend, bringing up a host of memories...too sacred to intrude upon." - Annie Curd, Good Housekeeping 1888
Old 04-12-2012, 09:39 PM

Here is another one "It took me more than 20 years, nearly 25, I reckon, in the evenings after supper when the children were all put to bed. My whole life is in that quilt. All my joys and all my sorrows are stitched into those little pieces...I tremble sometimes when I remember what that quilt knows about me" - Marquerite Ickis, quoting her great-grandmother. Another - "A stash is where a fabric without a project goes to wait". "My quilting scraps keep multiplying over night". Hope these help. I have more but cannot find them. It is too late at night for me I guess.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:50 PM

Looking for installation ideas too! Did you find any?
Old 12-09-2014, 07:26 PM

I belonged to a service club many years ago and although it had nothing to do with quilting, when I was asked to do the installation of officers, I used a quilting theme having made and quilted a block for each officer. It was years ago and I never kept the write up but you could use your own ideas based on names of quilt blocks to describe the job they are about to take on.

Roughly, because I don't remember all of them..........

For the president -- A Mariners compass as it would guide and show the way
For the treasurer --- I remember giving her a Dutchman's puzzle based on the fact that sometimes keeping track of the finances could be just that.
Directors/officers -- kaleidoscope block to show that individually they are an unassuming block but when put together, make a beautiful quilt
Old 12-09-2014, 07:29 PM

OMGoodness, I just realized that the original post dates back to 2012
So I guess Shelly, maybe you can use this )