Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help: hang a triangular quilt? >

Help: hang a triangular quilt?

Help: hang a triangular quilt?

Old 02-23-2015, 06:18 AM

Default Help: hang a triangular quilt?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]511296[/ATTACH]Picture orientation is incorrect: The top of the quilt will be the area with three small circles (to the right in this picture) . To the left of that will be the big green and orange circle. So one of the long points will be up. (My picture at home shows in the right orientation but when I loaded it the orientation changed). For those mathematically incline it is an isosceles triangle (two sides the same) despite what it looks like in the picture.

So it is possible to hang a quilt like this? The only thing I thought of was to make a small sleeve around the whole quilt and put stiff wire (like coat hanger wire) in there and then you could hang it from the wire. Any thoughts?

I haven't sewed the circles onto the background yet (and yes, one circle is missing). I thought I should get some hanging ideas before I committed. The quilt will fit perfectly into a stairway hallway space .

My husband is very handy. He can do almost anything, but I don't want to turn this into a week long project for him.

Thank you, Thank you, Mary Jo
Attached Thumbnails triangle-quilt-1-photo.jpg  
Old 02-23-2015, 06:22 AM

Maybe you can put some dowels in the sleeves. Or will it work to put little pockets in each corner to stuff the ends of the dowels into?
Old 02-23-2015, 06:27 AM

How about some double stick tape?
Or sticky back velcro?
Old 02-23-2015, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

HOw big is it? I would mount it on foam core.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:33 AM

So, assuming the photo gets rotated 90º to the left and the long side with the missing circles is the right side vertical, this is what I would do.

1. Make a regular sleeve of proportional width for the size of the quilt from the left point (green and orange circle) directly across to the right side. Leave both ends open as this will be the main hanging sleeve.

2. Add a second, bracing, sleeve along the short side of the triangle. Close the lower end of this one so the dowel doesn't slide out.

3. Then add a small ring to the back side of the top point.

Hang the quilt from the horizontal rod and use a small tack to hold the top ring in place. The bracing rod will keep the short edge straignt and prevent it from sagging over time, and everything below the hanging sleeve should fall straight without any help, again assuming that right edge is a vertical.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:41 AM

I was wrong picture orientation is showing up correctly now
Old 02-23-2015, 08:42 AM

These are all great ideas.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:55 AM

The posted photo is a landscape orientation with the big orange and green circle on top. You're now saying that's correct?
Old 02-23-2015, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

Put an extra half back (sleeve)on the back to slip a piece of foam core cut in the same shape. Slip the foam core into the top half and stitch the bottom on the sleeve closed. Sew curtain rings to the back of the half sleeve for hanging or a piece of string sewn across the back sleeve.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:08 AM

Well when I look at it on my IPAd its correct. When I look at on my computer its not. How wierd is that.