Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help! Help! Help!

Blog Entries

Help! Help! Help!

I just made my first free motion quilt but I sketched a rough design on the white cloth with a Fons and Porter washable graphite pen. Then I washed it but the graphite is not coming out. My life is ruined. This was a gift for a dear friend and I had hand embroidered flowers using silk ribbon. I'll post a picture if I don't shoot myself first. is there anything I can do!
    Kathryn Bishburg
    Traditionally-built Norwegian lady

Did you iron the cloth after sketching before stitching? That would set the ink on my Frixxon washable pen.

Did you scrub the lines when washing it? I found I had to vigorously scrub the material together to get the ink to release on my Frixxon pen. In my case I was doing FMQ on an ivory background using black Frixxon ink. Anything that had any kind of heat near the pen took a lot longer and a lot of scrubbing to wash out. It did eventually all wash out, so don't give up hope yet. Just try to scrub it like crazy. You may have to patch your hand embroidery if the pen was near those applique, but that is easier than trashing the entire quilt!

Good luck!

are graphite pens the same as a pencile? Would a white eraser do the job? I use #2 pencils and remove with a White eraser I get at the office center.

Blog Entries
    I would try an eraser first, rub gently.
    I also came across this
    http://quiltersreview.com/index.php/...uilting-marks/
    Good luck
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

Is this the graphite pencil you're using? https://www.shopfonsandporter.com/pr...ic-and-notions

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    I would try an eraser first, rub gently.
    I also came across this
    http://quiltersreview.com/index.php/...uilting-marks/
    Good luck
    Thanks Woody for that link. I think this would be nice to have on hand.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Blog Entries
    if an eraser does not work contact Fons & Porter thru the web site- they will help you- if you (heat set it) you may have a lasting problem- it is always very important to follow the instructions completely---and test before using any marking tool- sometimes the difference between pre-washed & not washed fabrics can make a difference---you may find oxyclean paste will help- but before doing too much i would find out what the instructions for the specific item say---then contact them for help.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Power Poster
    If you have any of the original background fabric left, mark that with the same pencil and try the suggestions on that first. If you can find something that will work on the scrap then use it on your quilt. Try everything you can think of on the scrap -oxyclean, Tide pen, Magic eraser....if something bad happens on the scrap you have not damaged your quilt.

Senior Member hensandhollyhocks's Avatar
    Great idea!QUOTE=Tartan;5030947]If you have any of the original background fabric left, mark that with the same pencil and try the suggestions on that first. If you can find something that will work on the scrap then use it on your quilt. Try everything you can think of on the scrap -oxyclean, Tide pen, Magic eraser....if something bad happens on the scrap you have not damaged your quilt.[/QUOTE]

So sorry for your difficulty. The great suggestions will be helpful to the rest of us. Let us knwo what works.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

I used a mechanical lead pencil to mark a light pink and cream colored quilt for my grand-daughter. After washing in the machine with Oxyclean none of the marks came out. I ended up putting it in the kitchen sink and scrubbing the marks out with an old tooth brush. Not that I am recommending this method, although it did work, just commiserating with you. I don't think all is lost for your quilt though. Good luck.

Awesome cleaner from Walmart takes a lot of thing out.

I definitely would contact Fons and Porter. That is terrible. I hope it comes out.
    Kathy

Blog Entries
    when you "wash" your quilt markings out always use only water the first time. no detergent. that sometimes sets them.
    i got out old pencil marks by soaking my quilt in Oxyclean and rubbing the marks too while wet.
    when i used some green felt tip crayola markers it took me six washings to remove those! good luck.

Try soaking in non-chlorine bleach.

I read some where that you should wash in cold water with oxyclean - no detergent. I think that I would soak for awhile in cold water and oxyclean. Good Luck!
    Linda

I did the same thing a couple of years ago. The Fons and Porter graphite pen may be "washable," but it doesn't come out. I ended up embroidering over the lines.

If all else fails, try Clorax Stain Buster and Color Booster. It will not bleach the colors and I have found it removes anything I have tried it on. It will be labor intensive, but better than ruining the quilt. I dampen the stained item and put the Stain Buster/Color Booster directly on the stain, let it sit for 10-15 mins., then wash. My GGD has written on her shirts/pants with everything that can make a mark plus all the pizza sauce, etc. that she spills on herself.

I'd try the eraser as graphite sounds like a pencil.

Don't know about the pencil that you mention but try this on a scrap.
    Mix 3 parts rubbing alcohol, 1 part water and a generous squirt of CLEAR dish detergent. Saturate a cotton ball with the solution and dab this on the pencil lines. When dry, the pencil lines should be gone. This works on marks from a traditional pencil.

Blog Entries

Update

Thanks for all the help and support. I guess I had my first quilting crisis - had to happen. I also raise orchids and the saying is you aren't an orchid hobbyist until you have killed 100 orchids!

I will run out and get some oxyclean for next time. What an ordeal! I scrubbed it threes times - finally with bleach and it lightened but you can still see the marks so I'll just have to embroider some vines on it. Can't subject it to any more washing or I'll destroy the silk ribbon. For picture, see posting above "Washable graphite pencil...Update"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kathryn Bishburg
    Traditionally-built Norwegian lady

I had a pink chalk that wouldn't come out. I sprayed it with Shout washed with a little oxyclean and it was gone. I had washed and dried it 2x previous to this . I have used Shout for years to take out pencil marks also. But never with silk ribbon. I also soak vintage blocks in oxyclean to get out old stains. So far its worked pretty well.

I use FriXion pens. I first learned about them from a video on Missouri Star Quilt Company but you can get them at Staples also. You use the pen and then iron the marks after you've sewn. Try it on scraps first. I'm really sorry you're going through what you are for your current problem, and I can't help you there, but I'm sure others on the board will come up with some answers. How exasperating after all the work you put into it.

I had this happen and used a product called Restoration (it's a powder used to restore old linens, etc). I soaked the quilt in it in the bathtub for several hours and then washed it. Worked for me. Good Luck!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast