Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help, How do I fix this? >

Help, How do I fix this?

Help, How do I fix this?

Old 02-05-2019, 12:50 PM

Default Help, How do I fix this?

I am making a little baby quilt using 5 inch square and setting them on point. I used the method by MSQC, in her tutorial, Charms on Point. it makes a easy way to set the 5 inch blocks on point, or she said any sized block, I thought it would be easy till I tried to put the borders on, they are wavey...Is there some way to fix this and have everything laying flate. I did allready take off the one blue border, will I have to take off all the borders and start over putting the borders on.. and how do I make the top flate if it isn't?

Thanks so much, I was never good at making a quilt set on point, haha..
Attached Thumbnails img_1602.jpg  

Last edited by quiltlady1941; 02-05-2019 at 01:01 PM. Reason: forgot to add picture
Old 02-05-2019, 01:59 PM
DJ

Did you measure the middle of the quilt rather than the edge of the quilt for your border length? You need to do that and then ease in any extra fullness so it will pull those ends in. You probably have bias cuts that are causing the problem.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:00 PM

There is most likely stretch from the HST. Did you square up the quilt before adding borders? I stay stitch borders and press again. Then use pins to keep the quit and border together at matched markings.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

Darn bias edges! It looks like the bottom is the worse. Remove the white, measure the quilt center and put a pin in the white at the correct size. Fold the white in half and the quilt bottom in half and put pins in or mark. Pin the ends of the white to the quilt ends. Match up the center pins of the top and the border and pin. Ease in the fabric on both sides of the center pins ( add more pins if necessary) I put the border on the bottom so I came sweep the top towards the needle with a pin or stilleto as I sew. The reason I said to just put a pin in the white border is because I don’t cut off the extra until I am sure I won’t need the extra fabric. A pain in the butt but you can do it. If you end up with a little wave in the border, add lots of quilting to use up some of the extra fabric.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:29 PM

Thanks eveyone I guess I'll take the borders off and state from the brginning. I will try and do what you all said and hope it comes out better..I thought this was going to be a fun and easy quilt..haha not really. Thanks
Old 02-05-2019, 02:46 PM

But it is a beautiful fun bright happy quilt and I'm sure the recipient will love it.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:55 PM

I've had this problem, too.

Things that have worked for me:

1) check your border seams to make sure that they are not slightly puckered. Puckering adds fullness to the edge of the border (like a ruffle), thus producing wavy borders. This kind of puckering is caused by the thread tension being too tight.

2) Suggestions to square the quilt before adding border are good. Of course, now that means taking the borders off and then squaring the quilt. If you do that, I will suggest that you:

A) spray the quilt top with water, put it in a lingerie bag and toss it into the dryer to return all blocks to their original shape. I think you will have to do this because it looks like some of the squares are stretched.

B) Do the same with the border strips you have sewn on.

C) If you want to press the quilt top and the border strips after taking them out of the dryer, make sure you PRESS, not iron. Ironing will stretch the bias. Many quilters use starch to stiffen the fabric and make it less stretchy. I can't do that because it sets off my allergies, but, based on who coached me through it and seeing their quilts, it works.

D) Measure the quilt 3 times horizontally and vertically. Horizontal measure top, middle, bottom. Vertical, do the same, the left, middle, right. Calculate the average of horizontal, calculate the average of vertical measurements. Cut your borders the average length of horizontal and vertical.

E) Pin the left and right borders on. Start sewing from the center of the border to one end. Then go to the center start point and sew to the other end. Make sure not to PRESS the seams.

F) Pin the top and bottom borders on. Again, start sewing at the center of the border and sew to one end, then return to the center and sew to the other end of the border.

G) repeat number 2 for each border.

I sincerely hope this helps. It seems like a lot to do, and it is, but it gets to be a habit and part of the process over time.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:47 PM

Good advice given. Something to add... The problem with this pattern and a lot of MSQC patterns is the bias, either on the edge or with blocks and units. I recently worked on a quilt for a friend made by this same pattern. I very carefully trimmed away the edges of the blocks and then stay stay stitched all around the perimeter of the quilt before I quilted it. She did not use borders but the same thing can be done before attaching borders.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:12 AM

Cute Quilt!

I always use one measurement down the middle then cut my borders to match that. I agree with pewa88 that stay stitching will help stabilize that bias edge. I would lessen the tension just a bit when you do that. Then, you can use the stay stitching in the same way you use a gathering stitch to help ease in the stretched edge (not so much that it gathers however) .
Old 02-06-2019, 04:13 AM
Power Poster

That sure is pretty!
You've received lots of good ideas from the others.