Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! How do you handle someone at classes and meetings >

Help! How do you handle someone at classes and meetings

Help! How do you handle someone at classes and meetings

Old 03-05-2015, 05:51 PM

Remember It is OK to say NO I don't want to do that. That is what we teach our children.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:16 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Duct tape?
Delightful!!! I know the feeling!!

When I was once in a class with this problem, the teacher actually stopped talking dead in her tracks and pointedly waited until the aggressor stopped. In our case it literally took about 5 times before the woman caught on....and I bet you'd all know her (nationally) if I outted her by name. ANYbody can be guilty of this rude and frustrating behavior.

Jan in VA

Last edited by Jan in VA; 03-05-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:46 PM
Power Poster

I don't think you should grin and bear it. you're paying for the same thing she is. she needs to be told directly. she is passive/aggressive and will continue to do this unless confronted. she may continue after being told. thinking she's 'cute' or something. I've dealt with people like this b4. it's annoying. if she continues, then flat out tell her to pipe down. she wouldn't have a problem telling you. Maybe let the instructor know too. but I bet the instructor has dealt with her type b4. good luck and have fun.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:53 PM

Maybe you could offer to tutor her, after the retreat or class. Be sure to mention how much you charge, per hour.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:26 AM
Power Poster

I love your first answer Bearisgray
Old 03-06-2015, 03:31 AM

I agree with Neesie. The best thing is to say that you haven't got time right now as you are struggling with new concepts/time yourself but you usually charge Xamount of dollars per hour for instruction and if she'd like to get in touch after the retreat to book some lessons...
Old 03-06-2015, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post

When I was once in a class with this problem, the teacher actually stopped talking dead in her tracks and pointedly waited until the aggressor stopped. In our case it literally took about 5 times before the woman caught on....and I bet you'd all know her (nationally) if I outted her by name. ANYbody can be guilty of this rude and frustrating behavior.

Jan in VA
jan always has sound advice and my vote is with her. The offender eventually "gets it" and no one else has to be the one to correct the situation except the offender. Works on kids, doesn't it?

sandy
Old 03-06-2015, 04:18 AM

Hmm...reminds me of public school days. Has to be at least one in every class. Wishing you the best with the "patience" word!
Old 03-06-2015, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post

Jan in VA
I used that technique in public school situations and it worked every time. It is not anyone's business what her home life is like or why she acts that way. The whole idea of a class is to learn and if she's there for any other reason, it should be her problem. IMHO
Old 03-06-2015, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
I used that technique in public school situations and it worked every time. It is not anyone's business what her home life is like or why she acts that way. The whole idea of a class is to learn and if she's there for any other reason, it should be her problem. IMHO
That works for the instructor/leader - does it work if the person is sitting next to you?