Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help - How to finish a block of the month quilt >

Help - How to finish a block of the month quilt

Help - How to finish a block of the month quilt

Old 12-27-2012, 06:39 AM

Default Help - How to finish a block of the month quilt

I took a class at my local quilt shop where we did the Sitchers Garden Quilt. The blocks are various sizes and each one is appliqued and quilted (batting is on each block). They were all put together with strips of fabric, under which there is no batting. What is the best way to finish this quilt? Do I apply batting to the entire quilt or do I just put batting where there is none? The instructor didn't take us through the entire finishing process and the instructions don't cover this either. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:47 AM

I would call the quilt shop and tell the instructor that you need more instructions.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:19 AM

Maybe this will help. There is a class on craftsy.com by Leah Day on how to assemble individually quilted blocks. This is not a free class and was in conjunction with Amy Gibson's block of the month on Craftsy. The part you may be interested in is at the end of the video, Lesson 13: Binding. It is on sale now for $19.99. Here's the link http://www.craftsy.com/class/free-mo...-a-sampler/116
Chris
Old 12-27-2012, 07:44 AM

Without seeing the project.. this is how I think I'd deal with it. I would piece batting in and add a strip by machine to one side of the area, make the strip large enough to cover and turn under. Sew it onto the seam allowance and then fold over to cover batting, the other side should be pressed to cover the other side. Then hand stitch it down. You may have some areas where you have to hand stitch the ends too because of the odd shaped blocks. I made a quilt years ago that was like that and it was the only way I could figure out how to finish the back. It worked out ok. The other option would be to put your batting in and cover the whole back with one piece of fabric and re-quilt stitch in the ditch around each block. It would give a more cohesive look to the back and in the long run be easier, but more costly.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:49 PM

When I do embroidery on quilt blocks I always use quilters Dream batting behind the blocks Im stitching on. Then when the quilt top is done I just batt the whole back. Never had a problem, and really can't tell.