Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! I am new to quilting! >

Help! I am new to quilting!

Help! I am new to quilting!

Old 01-25-2013, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I find it harder to complete someone else's work than to start from scratch and make my own. Since you have tons of fabric, I would choose a simple project from the videos at Missouri Star Quilt Co. Jenny has some nice beginning projects to get you started with a project of our own.
Once you have completed a couple of your own projects, go back and take a look at the partially completed ones and see if you want to attempt one. Congratulations on your new acquisitions!
I think this is really good advice.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:29 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Be sure your first class is a Sampler quilt. You will learn a lot about quite a few different techniques! And make sure they show you how to put the quilt top together. Sometimes they just show you how to make blocks only. You also want to know how to make the backing and sandwich the quilt, even if you send it out to be long arm quilted. Also, a binding class is invaluable.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:59 PM

THANK YOU! For all the advice and kind words.... I did go today to a local quilting/sewing store (calico Country) .. and they have ALL kinds of classes... Talked to the owner about what I have and she is more than happy to help me get started.. YAY!!! I know there is sooo much out there online to teach me, but I need to see it first hand to see how to at least get started! .... I will forsure post pictures and such once things get going.... Right now I am still washing! but I am half way done with the washing...LOL .. Bought some quilting thread today and thimble.. going to finish up one of her quilts that she was almost done with! YAY.. Maybe I will get to start on it this evening.. we shall see!
Old 01-25-2013, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

Here is some information:

http://www.museum.msu.edu/glqc/quiltcare.html

Remember this info is for finished quilts but if you handle a top very gently it can work. Never put an unfinished top in the washing machine.

You are so lucky to be gifted with this treasure. Start posting pics' for us to enjoy with you!
peace
Old 01-25-2013, 05:25 PM
Power Poster

Here is another site with good info. Keep it marked for future reference.

http://www.allianceforamericanquilts...quiltquery.php
Old 01-25-2013, 05:27 PM

These blue marks are stamped designs to cross stitch on and yes when you wash the item they wash out. Lucky you..Have fun.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:41 PM

Thank you for the idea to use the Color Catch thing from Shout! Just ran to walmart to grab them.. Should've thought of that myself.. but so far (thank the Lord) none have ruined in the wash!!! I will def mark all those sites and use them!
Old 01-26-2013, 04:01 AM

Since you haven't quilted before you could start with your own made quilt to learn how the others were put together and what is first and what is last - you will then understand the quilt. You can use the patterns from Quilter's Cache. They have blocks from 1" to 16+". You can start at the largest size quilt block and learn the fundamentals. Also, as far as the embroidered blocks are concerned - that is how I made my first quilts. I embroidered transfer patterns on muslin, made 2-1/2" sashing, sewed them all together and ended up with a 5x3 (blocks) =15 total blocks with a 4" border. It turned out great and that is what got me going. I made about eight of those and learned the fundamentals and then went on to the samplers and found that there are soooo many different styled patterns for samplers that I haven't sickened from it yet. Actually, it is my favorite style of quilt I make. Another is Floating Stars (check Quilter's Cache) - very simple but it turns out absolutely gorgeous.

I hope I could help you a bit. Enjoy - it is a great stress reliever and you will never know the feeling of accomplishment until you stitch that last little binding stitch. Edie
Old 01-26-2013, 06:12 AM

Such a lucky LADY! I wish I lived next door to you.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:16 AM

Look for a local guild or reach out on here for an experienced quilter to give you some support.
Sewing a few things first is a very smart idea. Do not give anything away! In a year you will see each piece
differently. Enjoy!!