Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help I can't machine sew for long because of upper back discomfort >

Help I can't machine sew for long because of upper back discomfort

Help I can't machine sew for long because of upper back discomfort

Old 01-05-2012, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Anna from Oz View Post
Hello everyone,
I’m looking for a advice, I am 67 and have taken up sewing quilts again but I am finding I have a huge problem with my upper back/shoulder blades area. After sitting at the sewing machine for periods of time, my upper back is painful and I feel like I have a stretched muscle, and it is impossible to sit and sew as it is so painful. I don’t have vertebrae problems, nor any back problems, the stretched feeling seems to come from beneath the right shoulder blade, and spreads out across in this area, it is so uncomfortable I cannot carry on sewing. I also find it impossible to sit up straight and lean back into the back support of my chair. when I sew, I have to “hunch” at the sewing machine.
<o></o>
I sew for short periods, after half an hour I get up and walk around.
I have door stops wedged under the back of the sewing machine to tilt it forward, but I still need to hunch forward to sew.
What type of chair do you have? Is there a special design with a chair?
<o></o>
I also purchased the Mesh Lumbar Back Support to attach to the back of my chair. It is great for the car or sitting at the computer but of no use when at the sewing machine, because I have to still hunch forward so get no benefit from having a lumbar support on the back of the chair when at the sewing machine. .<o></o>
http://www.punchwithjudy.com.au/shop/search.php?mode=search&page=1
.<o></o>
Advice would be appreciated? Has your physio given you any exercises tips for when sitting at the sewing machine? I can only put this down to ageing as I have no other back problems at all apart from this which interferes with my sewing time!
Regards,
Anna Australia

I use a regular desk for my machine and purchased a sewing bed extension that slides around my machine. It really has helped my back and shoulder problems. I can rest my elbows on the bed extension very comfortably also.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:07 AM

I also have this problem. I will be trying out these pieces of advice.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:18 AM

I would get a magnifyer to look threw at the fabric and needle. I have the same problem as you and I am not yet 30. (only a few months till I get there) I hunch over all the time and it is a real pain. Also the chair and table height are a problem. If you can lay down on your back or see a back cracker person I would suggest that maybe once a month depending on the amount you are sewing. a couple of months ago I was hurting and in so much pain that I was on the floor and couldn't get up and was having trouble breathing. I went and had my back adjusted and it has been better since. I try to not tense up when I am sewing. I also hunch so close that my head rests on the top of my sewing machine sometimes. that is when i am really tired and having trouble seeing and my back and shoulders are sore.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:42 PM

It sure does help and so does physical therapy !
Old 01-11-2012, 02:23 AM

Lots of good tips here!! Thanks for sharing!!! Anna thanks for the You tube link to Static Back! Never thought of googling it!!DUH!!! I will become computer savvy one day!!!!Haha!! All the answers are 'out there'!!! Hope you are feeling better now!!
Old 01-11-2012, 02:53 AM

I have the same problem with my upper back when I sew. I have a high counter top that is used as a breakfast bar, that comes up to the upper part of my chest when I standing next to it. So, I decided to put my portable sewing machine on the bar and stand up to sew. Now I do not have any more problems with my upper back hurting.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:05 AM

If you have a portable sewing machine, try putting something under your sewing machine to raise it up so that it is at eye level. If your sewing machine is in a cabinet, buy your self, a set of bed risers and put them under the legs of your sewing cabinet. By raising your sewing machine at eye level, will help relieve the discomfort you have in your upper back.