Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help I have holes

Help I have holes

Should I have holes smack dab in the center of my stars?? I am making star blocks using the diamond shapes and I have a small hole in the center where the diamonds meet. When I piece the diamonds together to form the star should I be sewing through the entire balk of the diamond tails or pushing each seam aside? I am pushing the seams aside and wonder if that is why I have that small hole in the center.
    Do you think the holes will be a problem when I quilt my quilt?
    Susan

Are you talking about a lone star?

The seams should all meet in the center and "fan" out. That way you can nest the two halves together and they should meet nice and snug. There might be a small gap in the center, but it shouldn't be noticeable.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

My diamond log cabin star also has diamonds that come together in the center. I sew 3 together, then the 2nd 3, then sew the two halves together - no hole ever in the middle since you're sewing one straight seam.

Thanks so much ladies!! The pattern doesn't mention sewing them together that way and I never gave it a thought. This is my first diamond start. That sounds like a perfect solution! I'll give sewing them in halves a try!
    Susan

I've not made one, I want to and hope I can remember what Dunster said here. Makes sense to me.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.