Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help! I need advice on Prairie Points

I am a new quilter, having made only 3 pieced quilts so far. I have always been intrigued by prairie points either as a border or as part of a quilt but was afraid to try them. Our lqs had a "free" pattern using fat quarters to make a prairie point 3-d pinwheel quilt. It was cute and I thought it looked easy - ha!

What is the trick to keeping all those layers from shifting while sewing? I did pin them but the centers of my squares are off kilter and the lower edges on some are sneaking out to show themselves. Is there a trick or some fail proof method to sewing these little buggers? The bottom fold shouldn't show should it? Thanks for any advice.

I've never made them but have admired them and think someday I will try... but could you glue them down (like with Ailene's glue or something that will wash out?)

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestManiac
    Thank you for these links. I learned a lot from them but, for what I am doing, they need to be individual as they will be forming a pinwheel - four squares to a block. I never thought about glue - can you sew through it? That sounds like a lot of work.

Easy, make them one continuous length. Here are a few tutorials for ya, hun.

http://rowenasrantings.blogspot.com/...sentation.html

http://www.freespiritquiltguild.com/...iriePoints.pdf

http://sewtakeahike.typepad.com/sewt...-tutorial.html

THANKS FOR SHARING - found that really fasinating
    Hope these help ya! =)

I was wondering doesnt the bottom get kinda thick, sewing through all those layers, when you fold for the triangles to be going the same way.

Blog Entries
    Use a tiny bit of glue stick or basting glue to baste them into place first. This is what I do and I use prairie points a lot.

Rather than glue I would use spray starch and press it well.

Blog Entries
    Look on Alex Anderson site, her partners has a good way to make pairie points, One of our quilters brought it in and showed us how to do it.......So simple

Check our the Sharon Schamber Network. She uses Elmers glue to secure her bias tape for finishing her quilts. She uses tiny dots--you can get the tiny tips from Connecting threads or I got some at Michaels. She irons them after the application to disperse the glue throughout the fabrics. I have used a whole line of the glue, not ironed it and broken needles.--The secret is to use it in the seam area--few tiny dots and iron it.--It does hold it securely until sewn.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mom2boyz
    I am a new quilter, having made only 3 pieced quilts so far. I have always been intrigued by prairie points either as a border or as part of a quilt but was afraid to try them. Our lqs had a "free" pattern using fat quarters to make a prairie point 3-d pinwheel quilt. It was cute and I thought it looked easy - ha!

What is the trick to keeping all those layers from shifting while sewing? I did pin them but the centers of my squares are off kilter and the lower edges on some are sneaking out to show themselves. Is there a trick or some fail proof method to sewing these little buggers? The bottom fold shouldn't show should it? Thanks for any advice.

I need help also, I'm trying to make a lonestar out of the All Star quilt book that just came out. Anyone make one?

lbc
    I just did my first project with prairie points and I hand basted mine but wish I had seen the hints to use the glue. Sounds like a better option.

Maybe basting spray would help. I think 505 is a good brand.

Here is another site for you to look at individual prairie points - by Alex Anderson.
    http://www.hgtv.com/crafting/ask-ale...ers/index.html

when I made mine I moved the needle by hand over the thick seems one stich at a time. slow and easy worked for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mom2boyz

Glue them down with a small amount of Elmer's SCHOOL glue, it washes out and WORKS. When you glue them down, use a dry iron and iron over the top part where you glued to heat set it. Then sew them down. If you get them crooked before you are ready to sew, they will pull up easy where you glued them and just reglue.Go to Sharon Schambers site on You Tube and watch her video on putting together quilts using glue, look at the video of Binding an angel, she has 3 videos for this and does it step by step. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    when I ,make prairie points, I like to use many of the fabrics in the quilt which means no continuous line. I just make mine seperatly and pin them together. then I sew them together in a running stitch. Usually smaller sections then larger ones to the length I need. I have never had trouble sewing them into the seam.

I have always been afraid of these. i am now going to put this on my next quilt. THANK YOU!

I've not done but a few tiny ones but could you not starch the fabric heavy and then give them a hard press before sewing them down, press with each fold before going to the next?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rob529
    I've not done but a few tiny ones but could you not starch the fabric heavy and then give them a hard press before sewing them down, press with each fold before going to the next?
    Sure you could!

These are awesome links. I have always admired Prairie Points, but had no clue how to make them. I think I might try this!

Banned
    I LOVE making those quilts. In fact, I am on my 2nd one now. A Black & White one.
    I always use ELMER'S WASHABLE SCHOOL GLUE. Just make sure it says WASHABLE.
    I will ry to post a picture of the one that I made before this B7W one.
    Bev B.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The 3rd one worked best for me good pics. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tarbender30
    I LOVE making those quilts. In fact, I am on my 2nd one now. A Black & White one.
    I always use ELMER'S WASHABLE SCHOOL GLUE. Just make sure it says WASHABLE.
    I will ry to post a picture of the one that I made before this B7W one.
    Bev B.
    What does B7W stand for? thanks

Banned
    Sorry, it's suppose to be
    B & W not B7W
    for black and white.
    Did you see the pictures of the one I made????? It's brown and white????? And I think it goes really fast also.
    Sorry about that
    Bev

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast