Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!!  I need helllpppp! >

Help!! I need helllpppp!

Help!! I need helllpppp!

Old 05-25-2014, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If your strips are 5 and 1/2 long, they will still be that length when finished. The total block probably should be 5 and 1/2 square so that when sewn together all the blocks are 5 inches in the top.
That's exactly what I was going for, but for some reason the width is not the same as the lenght. The length keeps turning out longer than the width. I still haven't figured out what I am doing wrong. I just trimmed my squares down to 4 inches.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:05 AM

Can you post a picture of your blocks before you trimmed them to 4"? Maybe we can figure out what's happening if we see a picture.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Can you post a picture of your blocks before you trimmed them to 4"? Maybe we can figure out what's happening if we see a picture.
Wish I had thought to do that with my original post. I have already trimmed them to a 4 inch square. Thanks!
Old 05-25-2014, 09:18 AM

Try sewing your seams a scant quarter inch, Sometimes if you sew the full quarter inch, you can lose some in the pressing step. After you have sewn two strips together, check your width of them making allowance for the seam allowance of course on the unsewn edges. I would guess it is in your sewing of the seams, but without seeing them of course can't be absolutely sure. Best bet for now would be to cut them down to the width of your blocks. Hope this makes sense. Been there and done that type of thing, so don't feel you are alone.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:30 AM

[QUOTE=themachinelady;6730638]Try sewing your seams a scant quarter inch, Sometimes if you sew the full quarter inch, you can lose some in the pressing step. After you have sewn two strips together, check your width of them making allowance for the seam allowance of course on the unsewn edges. I would guess it is in your sewing of the seams, but without seeing them of course can't be absolutely sure. -----

Or it could be that in the pressing process the seams are not being pressed properly. If pressing all seams to one side or the other, when you flip it right side up, check to be sure there are no tiny pleats along the seam lines. Use Side of iron to push those seams to one side as much as possible. I've seen up to 1/4 inch being lost to badly pressed seams.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:53 PM

Sew 3 - 1 1/2 inch strips together. the middle strip should measure 1 inch. If not work your seam until you get the center strip 1 inch.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:13 PM

I agree about the pressing incorrectly causing problems. I have realized I have a tendency to iron carelessly when pressing my seams open, especially when doing strips, so this rings a bell for me!!!
I get in a hurry and am not careful to get those folds out of my seams.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:15 PM

Maybe pressing those seams to the side rather then open will help you iron more precisely.