Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help I tied ends MQ and concerned they won't hold >

Help I tied ends MQ and concerned they won't hold

Help I tied ends MQ and concerned they won't hold

Old 05-23-2010, 06:43 PM

I finished a quilt for new baby. I machine quilted 1/4 inside most seams (like if I would have done if hand Quilted). So I have LOTS of start and stops! I read that the stitches should be tied on back. Well that's what I did on over half start and stops. Now I find some are coming out, like all the handling while quilting. The stitches that are coming out at ends are in a rectangle where I started stitching and no other stitches join. No problem when the stitching joinsand either gets close or overlaps the begining. I think I need to go over the ends again if the rectangles that are coming out
Old 05-23-2010, 06:47 PM

I never tie mine. I usually back stitch 1-2 stitches and take several short stitches. I've never had any trouble with them coming apart, as far as I know.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:48 PM
Power Poster

I usually start and stop with the 4 or 5 of the smallest stitches my machine will make and then clip the threads close to the top. I have also left the tails long and then I knot them on the front, and then thread a needle with the tails and bury the knot in the batting.

I am wondering if some fray check would stop them from coming loose any further?
Old 05-23-2010, 06:56 PM

I know now I need to take more stitches in place, or 4-5 stitches up and back or if tie keep tails and bury in fabric. BUT what to do now with this quilt that will be used and washed LOTS. One more thing to ADD to my learning and relearning as I made my first quilt in probably 15-20 years.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Power Poster

I think I would go over those ends where the stitches don't overlap. Especially on a baby quilt, I don't see the need to hand bury thread ends. It's enough to start and end with several small stitches that overlap. When starting, take one stitch and pull the bottom thread to the top so you can hold both threads aside while you start, then clip close to the stitching when you are done.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:07 AM

I wouldn't use fray check. It acts as a color preservative. As the quilt gently fades over time, the spot where the fray check is used still looks new. I used to use it on button holes.