Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! I want to donate my time and fabric to make a T Shirt quilt. >

Help! I want to donate my time and fabric to make a T Shirt quilt.

Help! I want to donate my time and fabric to make a T Shirt quilt.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by bernamom View Post
"You are biding on a one of a kind, handmade quilt full of your child's high school memories. Each t-shirt will be bordered in a coordinating color, sewn together and backed with a soft matching fleece (or whatever). All the designer needs is 16-20 of your favorite t-shirt and you will get to wrap yourself up in memories. Size will be between ... depending on the # of shirts. The value of this item is priceless (you can't put a price on memories)"

I made a sample using 12 shirts my son didn't care about.
well stated! I did this for our post-prom project at the local high school--the mom that bought it for son graduating this spring actually had me do up a quilt for another boy that had rolled truck on the way to wrestling weigh-in and almost died--spent about 3 months in the hospital with head injuries. We used a photo of the entire team and had the boys all sign their names--it was so very touching for this parent to do this for another child. She and I have a deal worked out for her graduating son this spring to get a quilt.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by bernamom View Post
"You are biding on a one of a kind, handmade quilt full of your child's high school memories. Each t-shirt will be bordered in a coordinating color, sewn together and backed with a soft matching fleece (or whatever). All the designer needs is 16-20 of your favorite t-shirt and you will get to wrap yourself up in memories. Size will be between ... depending on the # of shirts. The value of this item is priceless (you can't put a price on memories)"

I made a sample using 12 shirts my son didn't care about.
Sounds perfect to me!
Old 02-08-2017, 07:05 AM

I've made several t-shirt quilts for my grandson's baseball booster club when they have fundraisers. I've asked for shirts from players over the years and thus have acquired a stash. Sometimes I use the emblems on the shirts in blocks, and other times I've machine appliqued their logo (which I've made from regular woven fabric). Always heavily starch the knit from the shirts with sta flo starch made with half water half starch. Air dry them and they will be stiff as paper. When they state the value of the quilt, they say"priceless."
Old 02-08-2017, 08:01 AM

If you are donating the quilt for a high school booster auction, I really don't think you can look at a pricing equal to $25 - $50 a block. Even a smallish throw with 12 blocks would be $300 and this is probably not reasonable for this type of auction. But, one idea may be to use 3 shirts (various logos from the school, maybe old and new) and use them in a diagonal pattern framed with school colors and perhaps some fabric highlighting sports, music and other activities. This would be quicker and much easier than a full T-shirt quilt and would probably sell easily at an auction. (I did a similar thing and we promoted these items as great gifts for the graduating senior to take with them to college!). BTW - what a wonderful thing for you to donate your time and fabric.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:39 AM

For the display, perhaps a throw pillow made using one t-shirt and bordered (like the quilt would be) would help in generating enthusiasm.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:38 PM

I want to thank everyone for all the great ideas and help. You were and are, great!