Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Help with Ideas for a Class Auction Quilt

Blog Entries
    Um...well, I guess since it would be like 5 AM at her house, I guess we can wait for just a little while longer...but...

*Jeopardy music still playing!!!*

Oh my goodness you ladies are freakin impatient!!!!!!! It's STILL DARK HERE!!!! Let me wake up with my coffee, get the kids to school, and then, IF I have time before court, I'll snap a photo and post it. Otherwise, ya'll have to wait until I get off work today!

sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Esqmommy
    Oh my goodness you ladies are freakin impatient!!!!!!! It's STILL DARK HERE!!!! Let me wake up with my coffee, get the kids to school, and then, IF I have time before court, I'll snap a photo and post it. Otherwise, ya'll have to wait until I get off work today!

sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh!!
    Come on Esq, you remember the "Patience" thread! Not only do we not have any, we don't want any either! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Da da da da da da (more Jeopardy music, thanks Patti)

ROFLMAO!!!!!!

Esqmommy, sounds like you are REALLY busy. I didn't know we had a superwoman on our hands!!! I can't wait to see your photos.

I just saw this thread for the first time...

Can't wait to see what you did with the handprints! You are so creative!!

Geeeezzzzzzzzzzzzz you mean other things are a priority above quilting and your quilting friends......roflao

Blog Entries
    And to think.....she actually believes that some darn court case would take precedent over something this important!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So I went and laid it out and tried to take a picture. :D But the camera's battery was dead. :shock: So it's charging and I'll post it later. Oh my, our power just went out, and now it's back on. Weird stuff.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    So I went and laid it out and tried to take a picture. :D But the camera's battery was dead. :shock: So it's charging and I'll post it later. Oh my, our power just went out, and now it's back on. Weird stuff.
    Hmmm, something smells fishy to me. If her power went out, why didn't the computer go out too? :?:

It's a laptop my dear.

And, the quilt is up for auction, and only has 5 bids (including mine). It's up to $95 and it cost me almost twice that to make it. figures.

Here it is. It's not selling for much at this point, and there are about two hours left in the auction.

Oh well...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well I think it looks GREAT!! And your quilting is beautiful!!! I hope the bids go up fast, it is definitely worth it. You did a great job!!!

Thanks but I didn't quilt it myself. I was going to, then chickened out at the last minute. I paid a long-armer to do it. She always does beautiful work too!

are they taking telephone bids ?????? lololol

It went tonight for $130. It cost me $150 to make it. Two other class projects went for much more. One was a chip/dip bowl with thumbprints. That went for $250. The other was a ceramic platter with thumbprints that went for $350. Both those items were made at those "paint it yourself" ceramic studios and probably cost $40, and took a grand total of 1 minute per thumbprint, MAX. My quilt took at least 15 hours of work, between tracing hands, retracing onto a different heat and bond, all the work of the applique, layout, binding, and getting it to the quilter. Plus she put in at least 4 hours quilting it, I'm sure!

Live and learn. I guess parents are burned out on sentimental stuff by 5th grade. The higher end projects were younger grades!

I think it's lovely! You did a wonderful job. I did a quilt with the Sunday school class for our church auction last year, and it only raised $170. Perhaps people are hesitant to bid on such large items; heck if I know. I'm going to do a quilt with the preschool class this year, but not as a fundraiser - just for fun.

Blog Entries
    Well, Rachael, you put your heart into it, too, so they got "Heart and Hands" for a really cheap price!! But it went for a good cause, no matter what it cost you. And you would have missed the blessing of doing it for your kid!!! Good going, Mom!!! :-)

You did a Beautiful Job!!! I think the idea is great.

Blog Entries
    Aaaahhhh...it is finally here for us to admire! Yes!!! I love it! That was a great idea and you did a wonderful job on it. I'll say that whoever bought it sure got a bargain.... :evil: I hate that people don't really appreciate it. Those thumbprint bowls were probably bought by the kids grandparents or something...

I knew of a fund raiser here where a woman did a quilt and she was sooo proud that it brough in $800.00...know who bought it???? .......her husband......

Great job Rachael...I love your idea, how you carried it out and also the quilting...that lady did GOOD!

so sorry all that work,,,,,,should have let the quilters so some bidding......great job and as it goes you reap what you sow and girl you sure did sow..... WE APPRECIATE ALL OF YOUR GOOD WORK AND INTENTIONS...

awe, you guys are so sweet, thanks for cheering me up on this. I found out who got it, and she's a totally sweet girl in the class, so that makes me happy. I just made her a label yesterday!

Thanks again ladies, you are the best e-friends I've ever had!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    awe, you guys are so sweet, thanks for cheering me up on this. I found out who got it, and she's a totally sweet girl in the class, so that makes me happy. I just made her a label yesterday!

Thanks again ladies, you are the best e-friends I've ever had!
    See, when we nag, it's with love!!! :P :P :P ;) ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: And we want you to know that you're loved!! ROFL! And the quilt was awesome. I'm glad that someone nice got it. It's too bad, but non-quilters just can't appreciate the work that goes into a quilt, even a little one. But I guess that's true of almost any hobby or craft.

Blog Entries
    I'm making a class auction quilt too. Thanks for posting this info! I learned: all parents in the class are funding it, I'll keep it much simpler... and don't expect it to go for much. :-)

I'm sending the fabric to the teacher/partner parent to have the kids paint/mark and do their own art. Then I'll piece them between some cute borner. Then I'll quilt and bind.

Thanks again!

Kas
    I think it was so awesome! How was the auction run? We just got back from our schools auction a couple of hours ago! No quilts this year. I have made two for past auctions. I won one for $400 (cost $200 to make, but it was class money, not mine) which I thought was really low. But I was still happy since I was able to get it back! The other one I wanted more, but didn't win. It was handprints, too, but we used fabric paint and made the hands be petals on flowers. It turned out cute. The winner let me pet it the other day! LOL! And yes, it does seem like the younger grades projects go for more.

I forgot to say I am going to be doing a hand applique quilt of all my dh's side of the family. His parents had their 50th this past summer and I traced everyone's hands. I am still thinking of how to lay it all out.

Blog Entries
    Oh good! Your note was good for me to read so I don't have some high expectations for the auction price.

Ohhhh... I saw an amazing one on flkr for an anniversary quilt. I was going to do it for my mom with just grandkid prints.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mamaurc...faves-heyjami/

I probably got the link here. :-)

Can't wait to see your post of what you end up doing!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2