Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Help! I'm color challenged.

Blog Entries
    I really like the same color brown as your flooring :D:D:D

I would try something dark. Brown, blue or even a black print. Just audition your choices with your blocks in the shop before you buy. Just don't lose your blocks in the strip, whatever color you choose. Have fun playing! I look forward to seeing the end result!

When I am not sure about a color to border a quilt with. I go to my fabrics and pull out many different ones that I can audition with my blocks on the design wall. I unroll it and let it hang next to them for a while. Some are," Oh my gosh, no! But, make sure it is a "That's perfect!", in your mind before you settle for less. This gives me a much better idea of what the colors will do with my blocks. I have been surprised many times what looks the best.
    If you don't have the right one... Take it to the quilt or fabric store with you. I hope this helps.

Blue is what comes to me. Sorry about that white rain. Yucky.

When I can't decide I audition different colors, solids and prints. I just lay out a large piece of fabric and then lay my blocks on it and see. Try that and I'm sure you'll find the very one you want. I've even taken my blocks to the LQS, layed out bolts and tried different looks.

I would have voted for blue too. But brown would work also

I think it depends where the quilt will hang....in a dark place pick beige or tan....in a bright place pick a nice brown...either way I would use a fabric with a small , quiet print

I agree on the blue. You have a few blue blocks, and a solid blue border would really bring those out without distracting too much from the original design. Nice quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    I really like the same color brown as your flooring :D:D:D
    That is actually one of my cutting/layout tables. Each is about 75 years old and I love them. My DH refinished them for me. They were his great grandparents' tables which were used for canning, way back when.

How about a narrow border of the burgundy you have in the blocks, then use a lighter pale tan wider border.
    When selecting colors, I always hunt for only one color first - something that says "you have to buy me". When I have that, I key all my other colors off of that one focus color.
    Also, rule of thumb for borders - you want to make your borders accent the colors of the block, but never override them.

I also thpufht of more than one border. One red, one cream, and one grey blue.

The golden brown (color of the table) looks GREAT with the blocks!

I would try a maroonish red myself. I like the soldier blue idea too though. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    I would probably end up with a more brownish color, but goodness knows I'm pretty color challenged myself.

Fabrics should come with tags like Granimals clothes!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: was recently describing them to someone :wink:
    omg how long ago was that?

can you find a teeeny print in soldier blue, tan and civil war red? i think it would tie it all together, but it should be really small.

Blog Entries
    Actually, I think the floor color is great. I would probably go with a med dark brown.

OK, when I first looked at the picture, then read what you wrote, I thought "Why doesn't she like the brown that is already between the columns of blocks?" Had to go back & look again to realize that was your floor!
    If you don't care for the floor color, just audition your fabrics to see which one looks best I guess. But I'm with amma, I think the floor color brown looks great!

Blog Entries
    What about the color rust, that might pick up some of the brown and tan tones. Perhaps a brown with the look of a wood texture so it might look like it was in a picture frame. Gerbie

I really hadn't given any thought to a dark brown. I'm not sure if that is in the style of a civil war cot quilt, but I beginning to like it. I think a solid would be best, no matter what color I use so as not to detract from the prints in the blocks. Oh, so many choices...

I am useless with color, but as soon as I read someone suggest blue, I thought that this will be the last color that I would think of, but I can imagine it. It will look lovely. Sorry that I can't help, but please post a picture of the finished product.

I like the first one with the red. More earth tones in that one. I like the second piture too....Im from AZ (VA orig) so that looks nice to me.
    Sharon

How about a navy blue.

Well, I found some darker cream colored fabric and I think I will try that because I really want to stay with the original pattern.
    However, this quilt/wallhanging is so easy to make that I think I will make another with the blue, and maybe a third with the brown. I like all three colors just that much. It's not like I can't find someone to give them to. LOL
    And besides, I have a ton of 6" repro fabric left over to make many more.
    I thank everyone again for their ideas and suggestions and I will post pics after each quilt is finished. I am in the process of a quilt for my DIL right now, so no guarantees when the others will be finished, but hopefully before summer so I can get started on the Thanksgiving quilt I am dying to make.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2