Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP for inheritance quilter! >

HELP for inheritance quilter!

HELP for inheritance quilter!

Old 06-27-2010, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
I think completing the tops made by your mother is a fine idea if that is what you want to do. My caution was about the silk one only. Silks of that period will not hold up to any kind of use at all. They were colored and treated with metals with no thought given to archival properties. At it's best, silk is a delicate fiber when new. Yours is 130 years old.
Good point on dyes. One example is "Paris Green". The color was made with arsenic as a component. Would you want future babies sucking on that? At some point, it has crossed over from a utilitarian piece to an object of art, still beautiful, just evolved.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
At some point, it has crossed over from a utilitarian piece to an object of art, still beautiful, just evolved.
teehee, kinda like us 'vintage quilters', eh?

;)
Old 06-27-2010, 05:38 PM

I am so sorry for your loss and I would love to see pics of what you have inherited. You have come to the right place for loving hands and heaarts to help you protect and preserve your treasures!! The folks here are knowledgable and very very kind. Enjoy and carry on your familys quilting tradition!! I bless you in Jesus name
Old 06-27-2010, 09:09 PM

I also agree with some of the others that the quilts should be completed and if you have children/grandchildren, they may want one as a momento of grandma. As far as the silk one, I also agree that it shouldn't have anything done to it. Maybe there's a quilt appraiser in your area that you could have a look at the silk top and advise you on what options you have on preserving or displaying it. They also might tell you how to take care of it. Talk to someone in a local quilt guild, they may be able to help you find someone. And at some quilt shows they have appraisers there that could help you.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Power Poster

Sorry to hear about your mom. You are very lucky to have inherited so much. I can't help with your questions but was very happy to read Dorothy' s info on how to post pictures because I have not done so yet because I didn't know how. Maby now I will try it.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:38 PM

I totally agree with Eddie. I hand quilt old quilt tops all the time and once a lady brought me a silk apple core small quilt top. Since some of the fabrics were about to fall apart with age, I just advised her, and I did it, to just tie it in an embroidery thread that blended into the colors of the fabric so it wouldn't be distracting, and that's how I finished the quilt top for her.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ghostrider
I think completing the tops made by your mother is a fine idea if that is what you want to do. My caution was about the silk one only. Silks of that period will not hold up to any kind of use at all. They were colored and treated with metals with no thought given to archival properties. At it's best, silk is a delicate fiber when new. Yours is 130 years old.
there are ways to preserve an antique top with fine mesh. I totallly agree with ghostrider - if you ruin the silk top quilting it - it's ruined forever.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:30 PM

Hi and welcome from the sunny state of Florida!!
I'm so sorry for the loss of your Mother!! You're in my thoughts and prayers!
We'd all love to see some pics of your antique quilts! I'd also be careful about taking pics of the silk quilt(nothing with a flash). Please get it appraised and find out what they suggest about finishing it and then do what YOU want to do!!!