Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with Jelly Roll rug . . . >

Help with Jelly Roll rug . . .

Help with Jelly Roll rug . . .

Old 11-06-2018, 07:57 AM

I have made two jelly roll rugs. The pressing on the curves is important to get them to lay flat. I use a dry iron and I just “misted” the curves after each row. I did not thoroughly steam it. Then I ironed them dry, dry, dry. (As Martha Pullen says).

It is interesting that your waves are on the straight and not on the curve. Personally (if it were mine).....I would unsew every row until I was at a place that was laying straight. I would dampen the “unsewn” strips so they could “shrink” back into their previous “unsewn” state. When resewing the strips together, make sure not to stretch the strips. Just guide and hold them next to the previous row and let the sewing machine do the work. Do not pull on the strips.

I hope this will work for you. I would not try to soak and reform the rug as it is now. I think that would be a waste of time because of the amount of waviness. Let us know what you did try to do and how it worked. :-)
Attached Thumbnails 1e1e98d1-472a-4857-b34b-29adf9573731.jpeg   44cf2c9b-03ec-4901-9e5f-9f284de3936b.jpeg  
Old 11-06-2018, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ellen 1 View Post
...........When resewing the strips together, make sure not to stretch the strips. Just guide and hold them next to the previous row and let the sewing machine do the work. Do not pull on the strips.......
My thoughts are to the contrary, in that I am thinking that the side strips were put on, in too much of a relaxed state, rather than keeping tension even along the sides. IOW, if it is slacked off, in essence there would be too much fabric on the sides. Doing that every round, and more and more excess would be created. Thus, the "ruffle" effect that has happened.

ArtsyOne ... I quite like the colours/fabrics you have used. As above, I am thinking that maybe in your awareness to not get the cupping effect that often happens, you backed off on that just a little too much. Hard to find that happy medium. Good Luck!
Old 11-06-2018, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

I showed your rug picture to a jelly roll rug class teacher at a LQS. She said of all her classes she has never seen this happen. She thinks it could be you are not keeping the rug flat and taunt as you sew the long runs and then relaxing around the curves is adding to the extra fullness. She checks everyone sewing as they go to prevent any fullness. Each round should lay flat and smooth. That's all she could tell without seeing you sew.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:59 AM

I’m sorry this happened to you. Making these rugs isn’t cheap so I hope you can redo this somehow.
The pattern calls for pressing with Best Press, and not using steam. I pressed mine after every bobbin ran out, and mine turned out pretty good for a first time. The pattern also warns you to just let your walking for do the work for you. It warns NOT to reach behind and help pull your fabric through forcing it. I’m wondering if this is what caused your ripple on the sides? It was very hard for me to remember not to do that, and also to make sure the strip was constantly going straight behind the needle!
Old 11-06-2018, 11:28 AM

This post at Quilt Addicts Anonymous has a video on fixing your rug if it won't lay flat:
https://www.quiltaddictsanonymous.co...65217c0a204649
Old 11-06-2018, 11:37 AM

Onebyone and GrandmaMary, have suggestted the corrections we need, 1. your walking foot pulls top and bottom fabrics evenly together with the sewing machine, and without assistance, 2. The steam and not keeping it flat while it was going thru the sewing machine for stitching also was my problem. I also had this same thing happen, and I did take it apart and made it into another rug and will finish off with the balance of the fabric I have left over. Thanks for posting this. This is now Missy- my dog's new rug.[ATTACH=CONFIG]603603[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails missys-rug-now.jpg   missys-rug-now.jpg  
Old 11-06-2018, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
My thoughts are to the contrary, in that I am thinking that the side strips were put on, in too much of a relaxed state, rather than keeping tension even along the sides. IOW, if it is slacked off, in essence there would be too much fabric on the sides. Doing that every round, and more and more excess would be created. Thus, the "ruffle" effect that has happened.

ArtsyOne ... I quite like the colours/fabrics you have used. As above, I am thinking that maybe in your awareness to not get the cupping effect that often happens, you backed off on that just a little too much. Hard to find that happy medium. Good Luck!
I love how we all see a solution in a different way. I sure hope we get to see the finished rug with the explanation of how it was “fixed”.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:16 PM

Apart from ripping the seams I don't believe there is a solution. I think this happens more than we're aware. Steaming every two or three rows is recommended in every jelly roll rug video I've seen. Keeping it flat, steaming it etc didn't help mine. Nor did washing and the other solutions offered. My dog loves his new bed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]603612[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails j-rug-ssmall.jpg  
Old 11-06-2018, 01:20 PM

And after making one, I have my doubts about the safety of these rugs around the home due to their lack of weight. I made mine for my MIL and I'm now kinda glad it didn't work out. I wouldn't make another one because when I making mine I was very, very aware of the strain sewing them on a domestic machine makes.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:20 PM

I just took a class on the Jelly Roll rug, the instructor definitely had us use Best Press & iron after every round, I had to finish it at home and it is very curly. Very discouraged, this is my first & last rug. Trying to decide how to repurpose it, maybe after it is wash I can get it to lay flat?