Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with keepsake baby clothes quilt >

Help with keepsake baby clothes quilt

Help with keepsake baby clothes quilt

Old 01-03-2022, 11:18 AM

Default Help with keepsake baby clothes quilt

I've been tasked with making a keepsake baby clothes quilt using the clothes that the baby wore in her picture for each of the first 12 months. I made a panel with (12) 15" squares with 2" borders around each 15" square and 5" border overall. I took the clothes and cut them to size to fit on the 15" squares and put Pellon 805 (wonder under) on them. (The clothes are still in one piece, minus the back of them and whatever is necessary to make them to fit.) I plan to fuse them to the 15" squares and then applique them to the panel. And finally take the panel, batting and backing, to a longarm person for quilting. My question...do I need to put stabilizer to the back of the panel or clothes when appliqueing to the 15" square? I'm to the point now where I think I'm ready to fuse them and start appliqueing them. But I was thinking about stabilizer today and thought I would come to you all and ask. When I'm done later this year I will certainly post pictures. Thank you in advance for you help and advice.
Old 01-03-2022, 01:05 PM

I don't have the answer to your question and do hope someone does. I hope you will share a picture of the finished quilt later. It sounds like it will be adorable.
Old 01-03-2022, 01:05 PM

What a wonderful project!

Hopefully we will get some answers for you here, but I would also start talking to your long-arm quilter or decide on one first. They may have specific concerns/reservations.

I have long armed over stuffed applique and did just fine, but it was still quite soft. I've always been terrible about selecting interfacing even when I did garment construction and I think of wonder under as being rather stiff.

And yes -- we will want pictures when you are able! Posting pictures here is an art to itself and some people have more problems than others.
Old 01-03-2022, 04:54 PM

Thank you. I didn't even think to ask the long-arm quilter. I'll certainly do that as my next step. See...I knew you all would be able to guide me. Thank you.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:31 AM

I would use a tear-off, if any. Regular wrapping tissue actually tears off nicely.
Old 01-13-2022, 12:03 PM

Ask your long Arm'er she would give you the right advice of stabilizer or not. She is the pro when it comes to this.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:44 AM

I would do a very thin stabilizer as that would keep the clothing articles stable and in place when you applique them.