Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with lap quilt please >

Help with lap quilt please

Help with lap quilt please

Old 01-28-2011, 09:01 AM

A good friend has asked me to make a quick quilt for her mother who has to undergo dialysis. I'm told the room is very cold and taking a large blanket is difficult. I would like to make a lap quilt but I'm not sure of the correct size. It will have a bright, cheerful quilt top with fleece on the back. That should be good for warmth. Also, I will try to make a fleece carrier for the lapquilt which could be opened up and used around the shoulders. Can you give me help with sizes?
Old 01-28-2011, 09:04 AM

maybe 50x60? that should cover her enough while sitting in one of the chairs they use and still be easy and light enough to carry back and forth. Maybe make it a quillow?
Old 01-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

I would say a twin size. And yes, it does get cold. She will love it! The fleece will be perfect! :D
Old 01-28-2011, 09:06 AM

What a wonderful thing for you to do.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

A shawl and a lap quilt would work nice. I would make lap quilts according to the size of the individuals lap :wink: Measure from their waist to their feet, while they are sitting down. Then measure across their abdomen and add a few inches to either side so they can tuck it in a bit :D:D:D
Old 01-28-2011, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by amma
A shawl and a lap quilt would work nice. I would make lap quilts according to the size of the individuals lap :wink: Measure from their waist to their feet, while they are sitting down. Then measure across their abdomen and add a few inches to either side so they can tuck it in a bit :D:D:D
I like this idea! Then there wont be a ton of extra quilt that would just be in the way. Tripped on, stepped on, extra weight etc.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:13 AM

My dear Mom went to diaylsis for 16 years, my Dad made sure that every person that came there had their own quilt, they weren't fancy, mostly pieced polar fleece, but so nice, he still makes quilts and gives out even takes a load of ladies to the quilt guild. He is 87 yrs young....And a 28 yr Navy veteran..and a retired college prof that taught in the jails in North Carolina...

Sorry I got carried away..That will really be a comfort to the person undergoing the treatment. It is so cold wiith the blood being filtered...
Old 01-28-2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by I go To The Sea To Breathe
My dear Mom went to diaylsis for 16 years, my Dad made sure that every person that came there had their own quilt, they weren't fancy, mostly pieced polar fleece, but so nice, he still makes quilts and gives out even takes a load of ladies to the quilt guild. He is 87 yrs young....And a 28 yr Navy veteran..and a retired college prof that taught in the jails in North Carolina...

Sorry I got carried away..That will really be a comfort to the person undergoing the treatment. It is so cold wiith the blood being filtered...
You certainly have a father to be proud of. It is so nice of him to help with the quilts and getting ladies to their quild.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by I go To The Sea To Breathe

Jackie, I'm glad you "got carried away" !! What a wonderful Dad you have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 01-29-2011, 04:55 PM

there is a pattern for a quilted shawl on the Moda Bakeshop site. here is a picture of the one I made. It takes a jelly roll.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-89971-1.htm

Pat