Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with Log Cabin >

Help with Log Cabin

Help with Log Cabin

Old 01-01-2012, 02:17 PM

Default Help with Log Cabin

Ok, first off 4 year ago this summer a friend of mine passed away. Her husband eventually moved and had a hugh yard sale and parted with her fabric and here entire sewing room (s)....to include her longarm. I purchased several items and after going thru them I found the start to a log cabin quilt. However, I have some questions. I think I have a book here on log cabin somewhere but just can't seem to put my hands on it.

I have attached pictures. On some of the blocks, you will see they are in stacks of different stages of completion. However, not all the strips are exactly the same colors or tones. Each stack they are exactly alike for the entire stack. Here are my questions...

Do people typically use the same fabric in each block for all blocks of the quilt? You can see that some of the fabrics are very close in color but to not match exactly. The reason I ask this is there was a big plastic tote of fabric as part of this. there is enough fabric to make each strip exactly matching for each block. Do people try to match the blocks exactly on purpose? She had a couple of kids and I am thinking she was making these for the kids when she passed away. I don't know and don't have a clue.

Is there a rule as to how many rows around the center block you go?

Is there a standard on that?

Any ideas on where I can get some layouts to place the blocks when I am through?

She was a very accomplished quilter and an excellent longarm freehand quilter and won a number of awards, I just hope I can do this quilt justice.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks
DeMaris
Attached Thumbnails p1010001.jpg   p1010002.jpg   p1010003.jpg   p1010004.jpg   p1010005.jpg  

Last edited by DeMaris; 01-01-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:25 PM

You have the start of a very nice quilt there. I would not worry about making it too matchy, what she has started looks really nice. I would make them 3 rows (13 pieces per block.)- 3 logs per side.
There is no standard, just do what looks good to you. I would do a simple Barn Raising with those blocks but there are plenty of other ways to set them together.

Check out this link for pattern ideas.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/q...ery-b2181.html

Last edited by ptquilts; 01-01-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

You should see my log cabins - totally scrappy. No two blocks are the same. All you need for a successful log cabin is to have light on one side of the diagonal and dark on the other. I usually make 9" blocks (with 1" logs) but you can do many other sizes and numbers of blocks. (Just make sure the blocks are square so you can turn them different directions.) Judy Martin's log cabin book has lots and lots of layouts for standard log cabins. Have fun with those blocks - they will make a gorgeous quilt.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:19 PM

As stated earlier there really are no rules when it comes to log cabin , other than dark on one side ..light on the other . or one color way on one side ..and the other contrast color on the opposing side.
SInce there are quite a few blocks started in a fairly specific colorway... I would work within those colors and tones to complete the quilt.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:11 PM

She has all the strips cut in lights to darks almost black/browns. I like the light earthy, so I may go with just 3 to 4 logs on each side. The tote is full of fabric....I will be able to get several quilts out of and it is all really quality fabic, moda, rjr, hoffman and etc. I will look for patterns and layouts to see what I want to come up with. Thanks
Old 01-01-2012, 05:03 PM

You have the start of a beautiful quilt. I don't think there are really any rules, just go with what feels right for you.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Banned

a few years back there was a quilt done by a famous quilter that was nothing more than what your friend did...all nuetrals and golds...I wish I could remember the name of it....the blocks made waves diagonally....so hard to describe..BUT I can see it in my head..sigh...