Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with machine selection >

Help with machine selection

Help with machine selection

Old 01-30-2013, 07:33 AM

I've kept a running list of features I think I need. The biggest deal is the harp/throat size since I do my own quilting. That alone dictates features - like when you want one thing on a car and it only comes in a package. I use decorative stitches on every quilt - even if it's just to attach the binding - yes, I do that by machine. So a straight stitch machine won't do what I want it to. My current one is so light weight I chase it across my table - I sew on the dining table. So weight is a consideration. Sigh. This is hard! I see it as more important than a car purchase. I hope to have this machine more than the 10 years I now keep a car!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

Be sure it has the features you want and test it out first!
Old 01-30-2013, 12:26 PM

I can't get there until Saturday, but will test drive several then. I have a quilt sandwich backed with Minky that I'm taking with me - that should be quite a test! At least I'm getting sandwiches made and pieces cut since I can't sew anything! Feb. 17 I need to have a full bed size quilt finished - right now I have 6/24 blocks made for that quilt so midnight oil is in my view.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:27 PM

I have the 6600, purchased it used last month. So far I like it. I agree putting together a list of must haves and then wants. While you are there try some other machines and other brands if the shop has them. Anyone who sews can sew on any working machine but we will all have machines we bond with and find easier to use.

I’m confused about the comments about it being expensive? While spending $1,100 is a lot of money for a sewing machine it is not a lot for THAT sewing machine. I have been watching Ebay for the last few months and the least amount the 6600 have sold for was about $850(that was only 1) most have been selling for $900-$1,300 and those are from unknown entities so you are taking a bigger risk. I purchased my 6600 on Ebay, with a great table as my closest dealer is almost a 2 hour drive and she did not have any used/show models.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:28 PM

Default post 2

Part 2, first post too long.

Some things I was happily surprised with were the auto cutter, I don’t know how I lived without it all these years and would never have a primary machine without it again and the extension table, why I did not get one for every machine I ever had I don’t know. As I said I did buy a table but the extension table has be wonderful while I was getting the other put together.

If you only quilt it may not matter to you but the 6600 doesn’t have a free arm.

It seems to have to trouble with heavy seams, I think a machine that has a MSRP of $2,500.00 should be able to go over a couple layers of denim without having a fit.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:30 AM

mgmsrk - thanks for the post. I know about the free arm and that originally took it off my list, but ... for this price for this machine I think I can live without it. I mainly quilt and have used a free arm exactly once in the last two years. The seam thing bothers me.... hmmmmm.