Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help make decision please! >

Help make decision please!

Help make decision please!

Old 04-15-2015, 02:17 PM

Default Help make decision please!

I have an opportunity to purchase a Husqvarna Designer 1 for $200. Has everything. Hoops, disks, feet, etc. going to see it now. Is it too old? Outdated? I know where it was bought brand new and I know the owner. What should I do? I don't have an embroidery machine.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:18 PM

I know nothing about that model or brand but it certainly sounds like a deal -- maybe that is a good way for you to see if you want to get into the world of embroidery!
Old 04-15-2015, 02:25 PM

I think the software for that machine works up through Vista. So if you have an older lap-top, there should be ways for you to get your designs to the machine. I think the first D1's took floppiess but I think the newer ones may have USB ports. If she's a friend, she will be help to help you with the tech side of it. They are fabulous machines!
Old 04-15-2015, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

I am still using my designer I. The machine itself will sew thru anything. Hem jeans etc. The only downside is it takes a floppy disk to get designs downloaded from the internet into your machine. You will have to get a usb external floppy drive for your PC, and then you cannot just drag & drop or copy & paste your designs to the floppy. The floppy has to be formatted in a specific way for the Designer I to be able to read it. You need software, either from Viking (Organizer) or Embird. Check with the seller to see if that software comes with it. Even if you never use the embroidery module, $200 is a great price for the machine. They appear to be going for 700 - 1000 on ebay.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:21 PM
Power Poster

I would ask the owner when it was last in for maintenance. If you trust this person, I would buy in in a second. Have fun !!
Old 04-15-2015, 04:14 PM

I have a Designer 1 and love it. I have the HV software and use it w Windows 8. No problem. Mine is not up dated to USB, so I use an external hard drive ($35) to put the designs on the floppy. This sounds like a bargain. Ask what software and/or designs, hoops, attachments come w it!
Old 04-16-2015, 04:24 AM

Can't offer an opinion re embroidery (but lots of good advice on that already) but will agree that the brand is a winner. Have had my (other model) Viking for about 8 years now with nary a problem. It truly will sew through anything! Enjoy. I'd jump on that bandwagon myself if I was interested in embroidery.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:57 AM

I have a D1 and love it for piecing as well as clothes making. I've had it since 2000 and occasionally I even remember to take it in for regular servicing. I am having issues with the screen but can still get to all the stitches, just not able to adjust them. As I love this machine so much I'm willing to replace the screen which will probably set me back a little but since I have most all the feet and its been a great pal all these years its worth it to me. I don't use it for embroidery anymore as I have another machine for that but I can if necessary as I have the megahoop for it. Check with your friend and see if there has been any issues with it and then go for it.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:48 AM

I too still use my Designer 1, I didn't upgrade to the USB port.........great machine no regrets.......
Old 04-16-2015, 08:07 AM

Thank you all so much for all the advice. Brought it home last night and I am just now getting to play with it. I think I'm going to like this!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg