Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with math problem >

Help with math problem

Help with math problem

Old 10-21-2023, 05:41 AM

Question Help with math problem

Anybody good at math? I'm wanting ot construct a portable design wall out of PVC pipe because I have no wall space in my sewing room...it's taken up by 2 windows and 3 doors. I want it 6 ft tall and 6 ft wide because I mostly make throw quilts for charity. I want the flannel to be able to be sewn like a super large pillow case and just pull it down over the frame, this way I can use both sides of it if necessary because I plan on using wheels on the leg portion to be able to move it.. When buying 108" wide flannel how much will it take? Math wizzards please rescue me!!
Old 10-21-2023, 06:15 AM

Just over 4 yards will be enough. Probably a 1/4 yard over would be enough for hemming and the thickness of your pipe. All you would need to do would be cut the whole piece to just over 2 yards wide and stitch up the sides.
Old 10-21-2023, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

Your construction will be bigger then the wall by adding the curve of the pipes. The open part will be 72 x 72. Add the seam allowance and pipe size of each side to the width. 108 length wise would be plenty to cut off and add to the width needed. I am not a math person at all but I would say 2 yards of 108 would be what I would buy.
Old 10-21-2023, 06:38 AM

https://products.bestreviews.com/bes...lt-design-wall

the product is available to buy. It’s a good product for specific uses. Above is some info on specific products available to buy. They each have strengths and limitations.

we constructed several about 4’x6’. It was 2 rectangles one atop the other. It needed cross braising for stability. It leaned against a wall. It could be dismantled.

For 6’ square, I’d recommend a large window frame (of PVC) of 4 sections. We used 3” PVC for outside frame. It’s not heavy.. easily moved by hand. Just awkward.

The cover was felt that had sewn tubes on the edges. We put the PVC into the tubes, then assembled the corners.

It’s been awhile. Since I only used it rarely, my memory is sketchy. The best use was 3-5 day retreats with very little wall space to tack up a design wall. They’re very unstable. Definitely can’t lean against when placing pieces. Very difficult to use pins.
Old 10-21-2023, 06:44 AM

I am with the little over 4 yards group. As you want to pull it over like a pillowcase, you need a double thickness for both sides. I don't know what flannel you want to buy but depending on the quality, it will shrink quite a bit so I would get at least 4 1/4 yards. And I would wash it a couple of times in hot water and dry on hot too so it shrinks up assuming you may want to wash it in the future. You will have extra off the width so you can use that to piece it if you want to.
Old 10-21-2023, 08:58 AM

You will need 4.5 yards to cover both sides, to be safe. 108 trimmed down to 78" leaves 30" to be used on something else.
78" for both sides, allowing for generous seams/hems. 78 + 78 =156 inches divided by yards (36") = 4.33 yards.
you already have the 78" across with the 108"width. So what you need for each side is 78" . That is the 78 x 2 = 156/36 = 4.33

Good luck. Sounds like a great project.
Old 10-21-2023, 09:13 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
https://products.bestreviews.com/bes...lt-design-wall

the product is available to buy. It’s a good product for specific uses. Above is some info on specific products available to buy. They each have strengths and limitations.
But do please try to find it via a Google search and a merchant result. The link above probably came from a search, but that site (bestreviews) is constructed 100% from affiliate links and not legitimate reviews.
Old 10-21-2023, 09:38 AM
Power Poster

I have two of the ones in the link - the smaller and the 72 x 72. Never washed it. No complaints. It does fold up and takes a minute to put together but I can manage it
Old 10-21-2023, 03:53 PM
Power Poster

I was thinking measuring for one side only when I said two yards. Math and common sense don't go together for me. It's usually one or the other.LOL
Old 10-22-2023, 02:46 AM

I've seen the design wall in the above mentioned link and didn't care for the price of it. It may be a very nice design wall, but I'm thinking cheaper than that, hence the PVC pipe. I'm thinking of using 1" or 1 1/2" pipe and fittings, plus I have wheels here that I removed from a Sterlite 3 drawer storage unit that can be used for it. I've ordered 5 yards of a white flannel from a name maker from Missouri Star. Going to get the pipe this week and will let everyone know how it works out. Thanks for your imput!