Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help me arrange my OBW, please.

Help me arrange my OBW, please.

This is so hard! Are there any hexagons that look out of place? Wish I had more, but I lost 18 to bad cutting (really bad)

Thanks for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    I think it looks good! Sorry you lost so many blocks. If you are not sure about the arrangement, take a picture of different arrangements and then decide. I have my fabric and the book but have not started mine yet. Yours is very cheerful!
    Luv Quilts and Cats
    Never underestimate the healing effects of beauty. - Florence Nightingale

Blog Entries
    You know... looking at these colors, I think I would go diagonally white to dark... maybe. I've been buying sale fabric to make practice blocks with and its just not a easy quilt, but one of the most beautiful I think. Let us know what you decide to do!! What ever it is I'm sure it will be gorgeous!

Blog Entries
    i love your blocks. i might take the circle-y one from the center and trade it with the 'daisy' looking one next to it on the 'southeast' of it. i just think that the obvious circles shouldn't be directly in the center. JMHO
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

pw6
    Gees, set it the way you want it, otherwise you will second guess yourself to death and end up throwing it out.. not a quilt I would start without a lot of thinking, that is a very hard pattern.. the only way I see you sewing it together after you sew the triangles together is to hand sew them, they lay so nice but take longer to do... but do it while watching tv or in quite time. LOL.. maybe one day I will get up enough courage to try one.. Yep, I'm a chicken on this one..

Quote Originally Posted by pw6 View Post
    the only way I see you sewing it together after you sew the triangles together is to hand sew them, they lay so nice but take longer to do...
    The triangles are only sewn in trapezoids right now, pinned in hexagons. But I don't hand sew anything. This will be done in strips, to avoid bothering with the Y seams (though I did try some Y seams this afternoon and they actually aren't that hard.)

I used some of the ones that I "cut poorly" to fill in the zig zag sides instead of cutting off the points.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by krafty14 View Post
    I used some of the ones that I "cut poorly" to fill in the zig zag sides instead of cutting off the points.
    I used them to practice Y seams. I made a doll quilt for a neighbor. It actually turned out quite nice once it was washed up, which leads me to believe I can't go wrong on the main quilt.

Your OBW looks pretty.

I have to admit, when I looked at the blocks you posted yesterday I thought you would never get a good OBW out of that fabric. Boy, was I wrong! It is working out really well, and I like your arrangement already. This is the type of quilt that draws your eye all over and around, noticing something new each time.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I have to admit, when I looked at the blocks you posted yesterday I thought you would never get a good OBW out of that fabric. Boy, was I wrong! It is working out really well, and I like your arrangement already. This is the type of quilt that draws your eye all over and around, noticing something new each time.
    I had the same worry when I cut the first few!

I see that you have your pieces laid out on the floor. A design wall on which you could pin your pieces would help with the layout process. Being able to see the layout from a front on view helps. You are doing very well so far. Keep at it.
    Sweet Caroline

I think the whole idea with a OBW is to have the colors flow from one area to the next. The hex's on the far right with the hot pink in the center and the yellow around the edge should go up higher to connect the pink across the top to the yellow on the right side. I've made many of these and it really just takes some time to arrange and rearrange them before you find a layout you really like. When I first sort my hex's, I put them in piles of similar color on their edges and lay them on a paper plate. Then when I get to lay them out I'll have similar ones all together and don't have to hunt for ones that go together. I too would move the one with all the circles out of the center. Sometimes it works to start with a diagonal line of color and work off of that shape. Take pictures and redo it. Also use those cut wrong half hex's on the edges so you won't have to cut off your points. As someone else mentioned having a vertical design wall is very helpful with this process. If you can have it in a room where you can stand back 10 or more feet to look at the whole thing from further away, really helps. It's amazing how different the prints look when viewed from a distance.

Blog Entries
    I like it just the way it is. It sure is pretty. I don't know if I would want to tackle one of those. Just not on my to do list, but I admire anyone who does it.

I love your OBW! you know how monitors display different colors, etc., when i opened this - all I could see is 'Wow! How awesome is this! A Smurf-ville quilt!

Reb
    I did a OBW with fabric that did not have a lot of variation in, I believe the term is, tone. The gradient is not as pronounced. It does make it more difficult to lay out. But you have done a great job. The only thing I'm seeing is a bit of a medium shade in the bottom to the right of the middle. Hard to describe. I also sewed in rows. Make sure you pick up the pieces in the correct order! It isn't easy but it will be beautiful!

What I was told when I took my OBW class was to group the hexies by the predominant color -- white, yellow, pink, blue, then subgroup white/yellow, yellow/pink and pink/blue. Then arrange the hexies so that they flow diagonally starting with in one corner with the darkest (the most blue), blending into the blue/pink, to pink, blending into pink/yellow, to yellow, blending into yellow/white, and ending with the white in the opposite corner. Since I have never finished mine, you can take my advice as untried, but I have seen pictures of several OBWs done by another instructor, and this is what she did. I love your fabrics and colors. I look forward to seeing the finished quilt.

Reb
    Name:  IMG_0615.JPG
Views: 240
Size:  772.9 KB

Well I'm not sure if this will work but, I found the picture and made my attempt to upload it. I did this for a Benartex contest. It was selected as a semi-finalist and I sent it to their offices. I didn't win (which I had no thought that I would) but they sent me a really nice bunch of fat quarters! You can see I didn't get my placement entirely right, but I had a lot of fun doing it.

I love it! One day I hope to try this...
    A dog is not "almost human" and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such.

Quote Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
    What I was told when I took my OBW class was to group the hexies by the predominant color -- white, yellow, pink, blue, then subgroup white/yellow, yellow/pink and pink/blue. Then arrange the hexies so that they flow diagonally starting with in one corner with the darkest (the most blue), blending into the blue/pink, to pink, blending into pink/yellow, to yellow, blending into yellow/white, and ending with the white in the opposite corner. Since I have never finished mine, you can take my advice as untried, but I have seen pictures of several OBWs done by another instructor, and this is what she did. I love your fabrics and colors. I look forward to seeing the finished quilt.
    This is actually how I did this- if you look closely you can see a dark to light to green along the diagonals.
    The problem with this print may be too many colors- it is really difficult to pick a dominant color in many of the blocks, because they are equally two colors.

I decided i didn't really care on this one, moved a few, and am now sewing.

Reb
    Good for you! It's easy to get stuck on a OBW placement.

I'm with Dunster - didn't think I would like it but it is stunning!!

Vat
    I did a OBW and where I was in doubt I chose a solid/tonal to go with it and put those in places I thought I needed to add a little more interest and filled in all the edges with the same color.

That is going to be a beautiful quilt. I too like the arrangement that you have.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful job! It's so different.

Blog Entries
    I love it the way it is. Good for you to just start sewing.
    TwandasMom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast