Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help me find the right pattern!! >

Help me find the right pattern!!

Help me find the right pattern!!

Old 11-02-2016, 06:09 PM

There's always, "The Man Quilt." It makes a great girly quilt, too. And it works up pretty quick.
Attached Thumbnails manquiltfull.jpg  
Old 11-03-2016, 02:43 AM

Reading through this thread reminded me that I had purchased the Plus pattern at a quilt show but have yet to make one...

I agree with Elise, you may want to quiz your grandson...he may have an entirely different idea than something related to accounting.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:52 AM

Somewhere I saw an Abacus Quilt pattern....you may have to google it to find it.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

Lots of images on Google for an "Abacus" quilt pattern. I agree with some of the others and would get some input from your grandson. He may want inspiration from one of his extra-curricular interests.
Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
Somewhere I saw an Abacus Quilt pattern....you may have to google it to find it.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:11 AM

WOW! Thank you everyone for your input!! But now I may have a bigger problem! I LOVE 'EM ALL!! LOL! Any of theses quilts 'in my mind' would show the 'idea' of an accountants sheet and they also seem to be simple 'guy' quilts. I don't think any of these would be wrong should he change professions. I decided the back of the quilt will actually carry their 'profession'. I found a great fabric with an actual 'balance' sheet design! I do find it difficult to find 'guy' fabrics also. This is the first of many to come. I have 10 Grandboys...4 Grandgirls. The girls will be easy!!
Old 11-03-2016, 09:49 AM

Here's a dandy!! http://modernhandcraft.com/2014/12/f...rthday-bundle/

I googled for fabrics for accountants - there are probably a lot more, but this one really stuck out!
Old 11-03-2016, 10:28 AM

I was thinking if you could also tie in some of your grandsons other interests along with his intended profession, is there a sport he likes or activity. A quilt show I went to recently had barbells floating on the quilt- it was made for a couple who owned a gym. You could use the Plus pattern and include some fabrics that show some of the various interests. Then even if he changes majors it would still be relevant as it would include his first major but also other things he has interest in. But unless you want it a total surprise do have a conversation with him.
Attached Thumbnails barbell-quilt.jpg  
Old 11-03-2016, 03:38 PM

My son is an enrolled agent for tax preparation:
Which means he can argue with the IRS along with audits and tax stuff!
I thought he'd be a lawyer... He loves to argue and win! But he loves his job! I bought fabric with numbers on it and will probly do
The plus sign pattern for his quilt when I get caught up! Or may change my mind...I think whatever you make
Will be loved and cherished!
Old 11-03-2016, 05:22 PM

I copied this from this post: http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ml#post6909366 from 2 years ago. You may find some other ideas in this thread.

Accounting is all about debits and credits, and the fact that the two are always equal (at least they are if you do it correctly!). With that in mind, I would look for a two-color quilt with equal amounts of the two colors. The most obvious that I can think of is Robbing Peter to Pay Paul, but that has lots of curves, which I personally would not attempt. There is also Hunter's Star, or a four piece Rail Fence. Positive/negative versions of most any block will get you the same result. Another advantage to this approach is that if he changes majors it doesn't scream Accountant. BTW, I am also an Accountant. ;-)

Darren

P.S. I just went and did a search. Kaleidoscope, Winding Ways, Jacob's Ladder, and Jewel Box would also work.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:52 PM

Some kind of bar graph/modern quilt might work, even a pie graph would be fun to make, maybe slices are different percents of the pie.