Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help Me Identify?? >

Help Me Identify??

Help Me Identify??

Old 11-14-2016, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

It is definitely Cathedral Windows pattern. Fabric looks to be 1970 or early 1980
Old 11-14-2016, 07:06 AM

Welcome to the board Tyler, I was wondering if this beauty is a family heirloom or something else? Since you're interested in the value does that mean you have no intention of keeping it? If you wind up selling it I hope it goes to someone who can appreciate the time and love that went into the making of it!
Old 11-14-2016, 09:29 AM

Thank you all for your replies. To answer Ariannaquilts... I was certainly considering selling it. Now I'm on the fence, lol
Old 11-14-2016, 11:10 AM

A Cathedral windows quilt is not your "traditional" quilt. An "old fashioned quilt" is one with a pieced top (either hand pieced or machine pieced) and the batting in the middle and a fabric for the backing - then all is quilted together, either by hand or machine. A Cathedral Windows quilt is not made that way - an unorthodox way of putting a quilt together. Both are very time consuming ways of making a quilt. I have a CW quilt that my grandmother made - in the late 50's or early 60's - it was unfinished and I finished it. Every single time it was washed I had to spend hours "mending it" as it was hand sewn. I finally cut it up and made it into wall hangings and gave them to the relatives. HTH (Hope This Helps)
Old 11-14-2016, 05:14 PM

Beautiful Cathedral Windows quilt. I have made two, a full and a queen all hand made, and rest assured, mine will not come apart during laundering. I still have one but gave the queen size to my daughter who was thrilled to receive it.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:41 PM

I love Cathedral Windows quilts and plan to make one someday. To those who have made them I have a question about backing - my understanding is that so much material (muslin) is used that there is no requirement for batting and backing but I have seen people who have backed them....good idea or bad? The other practical consideration I have seen is the weight - i understand these quilts can be pretty heavy when finished?
Old 11-15-2016, 10:46 AM

If you plan to sell it, make sure to charge extra because of the hand-work and quality. These quilts do not usually have batting and I think batting would add so much weight it would be hard to clean. I would definitely take it to a professional person to have it evaluated for what its worth. Contact the people who do antiques roadshow. Should be able to find them on the web.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:08 AM

Love your quilt! Is it heavy?
Old 11-15-2016, 11:22 AM

Beautiful quilt, Cathedral Windows is my all-time favorite quilt. One day, I will own one.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:48 PM

You have a treasure there...you may not appreciate, though. Research well if you are planning to sell.

i started one last winter, put aside for summer, hmm, may work on it again ......the tute here at QB by Eddie is superb!