Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help me my quilt buddies ... wedding ring troubles >

Help me my quilt buddies ... wedding ring troubles

Help me my quilt buddies ... wedding ring troubles

Old 05-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

Double check the seams of your arches, it almost looks like they may be a scant off. Or you may be stretching the white pieces when sewing them together. Try placing the white sections on the bottom when you are piecing them together and see if it helps. Those centers and outer pieces stretch really easily.

I wouldn't take them apart or try and starch your wedges, try giving them a good shot of steam and press as previously mentioned.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Double check the seams of your arches, it almost looks like they may be a scant off. Or you may be stretching the white pieces when sewing them together. Try placing the white sections on the bottom when you are piecing them together and see if it helps. Those centers and outer pieces stretch really easily.

I wouldn't take them apart or try and starch your wedges, try giving them a good shot of steam and press as previously mentioned.
I will try that thanks alot . will post pics when I have them all together.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
It could be in the way you are stitching the arches ... curves are very tricky ! I will be doing one soon :roll: but am doing it the Elanor Burns way with the fusing on the back :thumbup:
I kinda bought this wedding ring quilt kit and it was one of those pre cut kits... Thought that would of saved me time ..LOL HAHAHAHAHA. Hillarious or what.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:29 AM

Thanks ladies for all the advise. It is great to have found this niche of quilters.I have not been able to find too many quilters in my neck of the woods.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Banned

Sine they all appear to puff at the same edge the cut may not have been totally accurate. Is there a pattern in the kit showing the pieces with and without seam allowances. A pattern of this type takes absolute accuracy in cutting (which we assume was done) and ABSOLUTE accuracy in piecing. Until I get the "feel" of the piecing, I will mark the seam allowances and pin, pin, pin. If there is no pattern in the kit, then cut a piece of paper and plastic the size of the shape and add seam allowance and then go back and mark the seam on one of the blocks. Fold the millow shape and make sure it is accurate.
I took a class last week and the instructor said that the piecing is only as accurate as the last seam sewed.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Banned

After looking at the pictures again I would jusge that the piecing is not consistently accurate.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:22 PM

Thanks, I will try that. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

I forgot to mention, that your blocks are very pretty!!!
If you find you have a little too much poof when the top is all together, a loftier batting will make the poofs disappear more, too :wink:
Old 05-04-2010, 01:34 PM

Starching, pressing, and sewing accuracy, are very crucial in this pattern. 1/8 inch off on one arch can make it off by quite a bit when you add in all the arcs. Are you pressing your seams behind the arcs. But I agree it looks pretty good, try a little more steam.You could be letting your seam allowance lag when your finishing the arc, try using a staletto or skewer to hold id in place as you finish the seam.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

Yet to make one. It look beautiful. Good luck.