Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help me Name this block >

Help me Name this block

Help me Name this block

Old 02-20-2011, 10:24 AM

oh, Thanks Cheryl! I like "Prairie Schooner". Thank You!

Virginia

Originally Posted by cheryl rearick
How about "Prairie Schooner" as in the wagon trains of past
Old 02-20-2011, 10:42 AM

The Block is 12.5 inches. There are 5 strips. Each strip should be 3 inchs, allow 1/4 inch seam on each strip (4 strips) Block will be 12.5 x 13 inches, trim 1/2 inch off the 13 inch side. This will make the block 12.5 inches. Make Prairie Points and attach to white strip before joining the other strips, then join to Check strip and so on to get the pattern. Tack the Prairie points down the center fold.

This would be a good pattern to use for a whole quilt. Make each block separate and join at strip ends or for a 60 X 72 inch quilt, make 6 strips, 60 inches long and join with Prairie Points all pointing in the same direction. You will need 30 to 35 Prairie Points per strip made with a 5 inch square.

Thanks to Cheryl for the Name "Prairie Schooner"

It is an original by Rettie V.Grama

Originally Posted by seamstress
I like that block.How wide is your strips?
Old 02-20-2011, 10:56 AM

Hello

Cheryl named my original stripped quilt block "Prairie Schooner".

A definition of a Prarie Schooner follows:

PRAIRIE SCHOONER
PRAIRIE SCHOONER, a wagon used for long-distance travel and freight transport in the nineteenth century. The wagon was made with six or seven arching wooden bows supporting a canvas cover. Seen from a distance, the vehicle so resembled a ship at sea as to suggest the name. Mormons, California gold-seekers, emigrants to Oregon, freighters operating on the Great Plains, and settlers seeking homesteads all used the schooner after it was brought into common use in the Santa Fe trade soon after 1821. It was not only the chief means for the transportation of goods, but it also provided a home for pioneer families as they journeyed west in search of land.

My mother was born in Fort Worth Texas and traveled with her Mom & Pop in a "Prairie Schooner" when she was 6 months old.

She must have been telling me to make that block. Won't wonder ever cease?
Old 04-06-2011, 01:57 AM

Rettie, I am honored that you named it " Prairie Schooner" I've alwys had a love for the 1800's and and looking at your block seem to take me back in time. lol no not in my years but the way it once was. The sun beating down upon the schooners as they traveled one lonely mile after another, often leaving family behind never to be seen again and heading for where not really know. (((hugs))) again I am honored and thank you.... Cheryl