Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help me remember: waves????? >

Help me remember: waves?????

Help me remember: waves?????

Old 07-07-2019, 01:38 PM

I measure the width of the quilt top and quilt bottom and add the measurements together and then divide by 2. That way both borders are the same length. I then measure the left side and the right side of the quilt, add measurements together and divide by 2. Now my quilt is squared and no wavy borders. I never cut my border according to the pattern directions because a 1/2 " can make a big difference.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:58 PM

I had a top that was a mass of bias edges. No amount of measuring was going to give me a true length for my border. I finally did the math--finished size of block x number of blocks + 1/2 inch and marked every intersection on my border fabric. I made sure that everything was pinned to match up with the markings and sewed with the body on the bottom so that my feed dogs would help gather in any bias stretch. It worked like a charm!! And this is my go-to method for any borders.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:13 PM

I cut my border 1/2" shorter than the center measurement and ease the top to the border.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
I had a top that was a mass of bias edges. No amount of measuring was going to give me a true length for my border. I finally did the math--finished size of block x number of blocks + 1/2 inch and marked every intersection on my border fabric. I made sure that everything was pinned to match up with the markings and sewed with the body on the bottom so that my feed dogs would help gather in any bias stretch. It worked like a charm!! And this is my go-to method for any borders.
This the perfect solution for bias edges being sewn onto borders. Then I sew with the border on the bottom so I can see how that bias is going into the seam. A little brush with a wooden stiletto will ease the fabric so it doesn't create tucks.