Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help me spend 25 bucks >

Help me spend 25 bucks

Help me spend 25 bucks

Old 10-13-2011, 11:40 AM

My mom sent me an Amazon.com gift card for my birthday ... $25 value. I was wondering, does anyone have a suggestion for a book (or two)? Something in your quilting library that you refer to all the time, or something that has a lot of helpful tips and tricks, or maybe just something with some really fabulous patterns (bearing in mind of course that I am still a beginner!). Thank you!!
Old 10-13-2011, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by GiddyUpGo
My mom sent me an Amazon.com gift card for my birthday ... $25 value. I was wondering, does anyone have a suggestion for a book (or two)? Something in your quilting library that you refer to all the time, or something that has a lot of helpful tips and tricks, or maybe just something with some really fabulous patterns (bearing in mind of course that I am still a beginner!). Thank you!!
Are you able to add about 55 dollars to that $25 you could get yourself a kindle for $79. And then you can download tons of free books. I love my kindle and won't trade it for anything.
I am into the Twilight Saga by Stephanie Meyers. There are 4 books in the series.
I know that there are quilting books on the site. Good luck in whatever you decide to buy with your Gift Card and Happy Birthday to you. :)
Old 10-13-2011, 11:48 AM

I buy all my books used from Alibris.com now. I do check the Amazon site for reviews of books I might find. I would use the $25.00 for something else, the kindle idea is interesting.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:50 AM

What is your favorite type of quilting? Or do you prefer to read? I think you could find a nice book in that price range. Did you mention to your Mom about a certain book? Maybe that is why she sent you the gift certificate? Be sure and let us know what you decide on..happy stitchin' or errr reading... crafty_linda_b
Old 10-13-2011, 11:56 AM
Power Poster

If you love Bargello, a lot of us have the book Twist & Turn Bargello. It is the only book I have EVER bought that I wanted to make 90% of the quilts. I got two done, FIVE more to get done. Time is a wasting.... Have fun !!!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-270687.jpe  
Old 10-13-2011, 11:57 AM

You could always get some fabric. i love books but love fabric more. i would use it to get some fabric if there is no specific book you are looking at. as for a good book. i would suggest a paper piecing book by carol doak. she is really good at teaching it. and most of her patterns are wonderful to make.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:05 PM

What about a book like: Borders The Basics and Beyond byJill Reber? It will come in handy if you ever do a round robin or row robin. Or even if you are just putting a border on a quilt you are making.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:10 PM

Complete Guide to Quilting by Better Homes & Gardens .. my children got me this book for Christmas a few years ago and I have just about worn out the pages. YOu won't believe all the information in this book!!
Old 10-13-2011, 12:10 PM

I just bought that book Maniacquilter from Amazon and plan on doing a few of those twist and turn quilts myself. Nice price for the book too.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Airwick156
Are you able to add about 55 dollars to that $25 you could get yourself a kindle for $79. And then you can download tons of free books. I love my kindle and won't trade it for anything.
I am into the Twilight Saga by Stephanie Meyers. There are 4 books in the series.
I know that there are quilting books on the site. Good luck in whatever you decide to buy with your Gift Card and Happy Birthday to you. :)
Free books? I haven't looked too deeply into Kindle or Nook, but most books are far from free.