Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help me!

Help me!

I am in a round robin form my guild and I can't think of what to do for the final round of the one I have right now! I'll post of photo of it tonight but i can describe it for now. The center is a Embordiered Phoenix on a blue batik background with a border that has the Top and righ side plain and the bottom and left side with diamonds in a green batik. Then the 1 person added an orange/brown batik on the bottom and left side with red flames loose so they can give a 3d effect, the top and right are a brown/gray batik. Then the next user asked me for help so I told her to mirror the border with diamonds on it but do that across the top and right side to try to balance it as everything is on the left and bottom. now I'm STUCK! As soon as I can I'll post a photo to help but any ideas at this point would really help me out.

Thanks Ladies (and Gentlemen)

When I think of Phoenix, I think flying or feathers. How about making a border of flying geese that waves like the spine of quilted feathers?

Power Poster
    Waiting for a picture because I am drawing a blank.

Waiting for pictures, too, but if it's the last round, I might make the borders plain, as the rest of the quilt sounds like it's pretty busy.

Here is the photo
    Attached Images Attached Images

Power Poster
    How about appliquéing a saying in the brown fabric on the side or bottom? Would that count as a round? I am thinking something like ....out of the ashes....or reborn from ashes...

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    How about appliquéing a saying in the brown fabric on the side or bottom? Would that count as a round? I am thinking something like ....out of the ashes....or reborn from ashes...
    I would need to add another border. But that's what I was thinking just not sure if it would look right

Do you have the blue fabric that the Phoenix is on? I think a thin border on it, embroidered with the same thread of the Phoenix with the quote, would bring one's eye back to the Phoenix. All the dark borders are becoming overpowering to the phoenix... imho. Good luck and would love to see it finished. ))
    Last edited by quiltjoey; 05-29-2013 at 05:09 PM.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Look at some of these images for some ideas for direction on this quilt. https://www.google.com/search?q=phoe...iw=890&bih=409

To me, this quilt has become too dark and is crying for the addition of the original blue *and* sunny yellow.
    Since the phoenix, a bird associated with the sun, has "risen from the ashes", why not take him into the sky in the last border? Maybe a large, bright sun in one or more corners.

Send another pic when you decide and have finished your border!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Power Poster
    Can you find any of the gold fabric that is around the blue center panel? I think a border of that would brighten up the brown and be pretty.

I love your name! If I was in your shoes, I'd have another scotch! I think you've got a real challenge here, Girl. Good Luck! I can't wait to see what you do.

Oh Jan - you are alway so spot on!

Add a gold boarder to lighten up the quilt.

Blog Entries
    I think you need to bring out the bird in blue... the center is lost with all the brown.
    Squirrelly Shirley

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I agree with "petthefabric". Something that would ease out of the diamonds down into the border with a little more blue but not too much.

I agree it needs to be lightened up a bit and prob add back some more blue. The phoenix is receding into a tunnel of brown as is. Very pretty, though!

I've never done a round robin. Do you go all the way around the quilt?

I love Jan in VA's idea. Use the blue to border 2 sides with a gold cornerstone that the Phoenix is flying into. Use a mottled charcoal on the other 2 sides.

Love the quilt.
    Shirley in Arizona

Blog Entries
    I would quit right now! I love it the way it is. The right side is bright, but it is balanced by the diamonds in the border. It is marvelous!
    Last edited by barny; 05-31-2013 at 07:18 AM.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by girliegirl View Post
    I think you need to bring out the bird in blue... the center is lost with all the brown.
    That was my thought, too.

I don't have any ideas on how to bring the blue back, though.

Continuing with the diagonal look, do a test with blue on the right side and bottom and yellow/gold on the left side and top...or vicee versee
    oops
    Looks like someone else has the same idea.
    Last edited by linhawk; 05-31-2013 at 08:22 AM. Reason: oops

·What does a clock do when it's hungry? It goes back four seconds.

Blog Entries
    I would add a border with something to "quiet down" the dark browns, blacks. Maybe a Gold and Blue together with something that speaks of "this is the end." As it is, it is beautiful, but I don't think it would be relaxing to look at for very long with all such strong colors. With something like the gold and blues, it would give good contrast, and also speak of being completed. Mariah.
    Have a wonderful Quilting Day, make it your way!
    Marta
    Martha Tompkins

Blog Entries
    I have never attempted a round robin before. I did not join in the RR when my quilting group was doing one, so I'm afraid I will not be much help. However here is my two cents for about all it will be worth. lol I think the outer borders are so dark, it all takes away from the center block. I think I would add two flange sections first one in blue and the next one in gold or bright yellow as if everything were going into the sky and then to the sunn, (blue representing the blue sky and bright yellow the sun) I guess this doesn't make much sense. I think I would personally make the flanges about 1/2" each.
    I am currently working on a challenge quilt of black & white, but for the challenge we need to add a color to pop. I did not want much of another color, so I made three flange sections 1/4" each with black then my pop color burnt orange, then black again and added the final border to the quilt. I really like how this has turned out. just enough color to satisfy everyone I think. Perhaps something like this if you can make sense of what I am talking about.
    Be sure to post final picture please.

Well ladies, I tried all your suggestions and finally settled on a yellow/beige batik border that had oranges and blues through out it. I just did a plain border as everything I put on it to try to balance it seemed to make it feel one sided more.

The one that was returned to me though turned out goregous!

Now here's the art in me and it doesn't follow the RR rules. Put a wavy row of flying geese in blue sky with yellow birds going through the left and top areas of the quilt.