Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help me, Wise Persons of the QB!! >

Help me, Wise Persons of the QB!!

Help me, Wise Persons of the QB!!

Old 10-25-2012, 04:56 AM

Was the bobbin wound correctly? Once in a while, if my bobbin gets wrapped wonky, I have the same problem. Change to a fresh bobbin, completely rethread the machine, put a new needle in and try, try again! Good luck!!
Old 10-25-2012, 05:42 AM

Such a simple solution! I've never FMQ'd, but know I have to attempt it. I hope I remember to lower the presser foot when I finally get started. I, too, love this board!
Old 10-25-2012, 05:46 AM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
A good night sleep will work wonders. You can tackle it fresh in the morning and it sounds like tension problem that you may have to fiddle with. The Superior Thread co has a nice diagram for how to get a balance stitch and I use it so often that I printed it out for myself. It has the little stick figures that tell which tension you need to adjust. It could also be what you are trying to quilt through. Before doing any FMQ I always try a sample on a scrap sandwich of the same fabric and just sew a straight line to check the stitches. As someone mentioned, you have to put the foot down even though it doesn't rest on the fabric to engage the tension on the upper thread.
Nice diagram...thanks for sharing...
Old 10-25-2012, 06:32 AM

This sounds like it could be the problem - it's easy to do when FMQing as the foot isn't tight on th fabric . Another thing is that perhaps you threaded it with the presser foot down and it didn't get caught in those tension discs. Ask me how I know this! Haha!
Old 10-25-2012, 06:59 AM

This is embarrassing to admit, but I'm a newbie. I had my needle actually in backwards and it did that... I tried EVERYTHING before discovering I had put the needle in backward.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by wishfulthinking View Post
Tartan, thanks so much for sharing this info. Just printed off those little stick figures for my own reference. This board is the best!
This made a lot of sense so I just went on superior threads website and couldn't find it. Would it be possible for someone to send us the link?
Old 10-25-2012, 09:32 AM

Tartan, thank you, I just went and printed off the tension guide from Superior and will be looking more at thier site. I am from Quebec many years ago and have lots of realitives in Ontario.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by My time View Post
This made a lot of sense so I just went on superior threads website and couldn't find it. Would it be possible for someone to send us the link?
https://www.superiorthreads.com/educ...-tension-works
Old 10-25-2012, 09:51 AM

Be sure your presser foot is up when you thread the machine. If not, the thread doesn't properly seat between the discs. I had the same intermittent problem for years and couldn't figure out why. Finally did a Google search and saw this suggestion and have never had the problem since. The reason it was an intermittent problem was because sometimes the presser foot was up while threading and sometimes it was down, but I never realized the connection. It just seemed that sometime the machine worked great and the next time it didn't. It was VERY FRUSTRATING!!
Old 10-25-2012, 10:54 AM

My Janome dealer 's answer to a similar question of mine re knots on the back of work was..." Always rethread the top thread when troubles occur. It may have inadvertently jumped out of the tension disks ." It seems to work for me. Pressure foot down is always another issue although my machine won't sew if this is the case. I hope this helps.