Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help my FW isn't working right >
  • Help my FW isn't working right

• Help my FW isn't working right

Old 01-16-2011, 05:35 AM

I have a '47 FW that I love. Last night I took the throat plate off to clean out lint. This morning when I started to sew, I forgot to pull up the bobbin thread and it started making a knocking sound. I took the thread out but a piece of thread was hooked around the bobbin casing. It was really stuck and I removed it... with some tugging. Now the hook is moving around freely. I've done something..... Can anyone tell me what to do to fix it? I have a repair manual but don't know what is wrong?
    Old 01-16-2011, 05:51 AM

Whew! False alarm. When I put the throat plate back on I didn't pay attention to how the hook was positioned. There is a spot on the back side of the throat plate where the hook has to be sitting when you put the plate back on...... Everything is working perfectly now...... just as before.... I'm feeling a little stupid. Sorry for the alarm.
    Old 01-16-2011, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north
    Whew! False alarm. When I put the throat plate back on I didn't pay attention to how the hook was positioned. There is a spot on the back side of the throat plate where the hook has to be sitting when you put the plate back on...... Everything is working perfectly now...... just as before.... I'm feeling a little stupid. Sorry for the alarm.
    that is tricky, I bought a FW on ebay and the girl said sewed really well and then when I got it the hook wasn't in the right place. :thumbdown: had to read the manual to get it going but works fine. There are alot of people who think their machines are broke because of that hook....glad you found it
    Old 01-16-2011, 07:21 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by LindaR
    Originally Posted by nanna-up-north
    that is tricky, I bought a FW on ebay and the girl said sewed really well and then when I got it the hook wasn't in the right place. :thumbdown: had to read the manual to get it going but works fine. There are alot of people who think their machines are broke because of that hook....glad you found it
    Great relief, and a lesson learned. Well done for sorting it out.
    Old 01-16-2011, 08:17 AM

My daughter sent me her grandma's FW home to "fix" because it wouldn't stitch. She had removed the feeddog plate to clean out lint and hadn't made sure that little finger was in the notch either. It's great when the fix is so easy.
    Old 01-16-2011, 08:32 AM

And thank goodness for the internet when you can't find your manual to fix something. I've done a Google search more than once to help me fix a problem I've created with my F.W.
    Old 01-16-2011, 08:41 AM

that is usually the problem it is soo easy to forget to look for that
    Old 01-16-2011, 10:33 AM

Thanks for your comments everyone. I was about to have a panic attack!! I have a couple of fancy Vikings that I've had for years but the little FW makes the most beautiful stitch.... and such a lovely hum..... click, click, click..... Love it

I've only had the FW a couple of years and haven't used it as much as I should...... it's almost like the FW talks to me when she's humming away.

It makes me wonder if the rest of you have such a personal attachment to your FWs as well.