Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! Name that Block Pattern >

Help! Name that Block Pattern

Help! Name that Block Pattern

Old 02-13-2014, 12:00 AM

Default Help! Name that Block Pattern

I'm very new at quilting and have been asked to make a table runner, I found a picture of one that would work, but there's no name or pattern with it, just the fact that she bought it somewhere. Could someone please tell me what the name of the block is? Thanks so much! Here is the website http://margoobrien.blogspot.com/2011...le-runner.html
Old 02-13-2014, 12:24 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Have you ever tried using 4-squares-to-the-inch graph paper to draw out your designs? Try doing this with a pencil, 6" school ruler and colored pencils....just play around with shapes, copy some from pictures of simple blocks for practice. The ability to do this will make drawing your own patterns so much easier.

The block shown in this table runner is very simple and quite common; many of my beginning students draw and sew this using the simple sections of the block below. You can make the sections any size you want by assigning a size to the graph squares. The table runner consists of the following 3 sections.
Be sure to cut the squares from which you will cut the triangles about 1.5" larger than the other 2 sections will be.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails untitled.jpg  
Old 02-13-2014, 12:43 AM

Jan this is excellent advice. I hope it will be taken notice of as it's a valuable lesson in block construction/drafting and will surely save a lot of money! You are what this forum is all about.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:03 AM

Thank you so much Jan, I'll try graphing it out.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:44 PM

I was not able to copy the picture.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:12 PM
Power Poster

Pretty runner.

Graph paper is one of my favorite tools.

Remember to add seam allowances to the pieces.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:09 AM

nice table runner.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:13 AM

Jan, excellent advice and a very clear breakdown of the pattern. You should be a quilting teacher--no wait-- you ARE a quilting teacher to all of us here. I could see the pattern breakdown but would never have been able to explain it so well. Oh, and I also love my graph paper and coloured pencils!
Old 02-14-2014, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
Jan, excellent advice and a very clear breakdown of the pattern. You should be a quilting teacher--no wait-- you ARE a quilting teacher to all of us here. I could see the pattern breakdown but would never have been able to explain it so well. Oh, and I also love my graph paper and coloured pencils!
I 2nd your comment GingerK! I have not had any formal classes and have tried to teach myself. Since I found this board I have learned many tidbits and most of them are from Jan in VA. She is awesome and always so willing to help a newbie. I want to publicly thank her for all her help. I always pay close attention when I see her smiling face in the comment sections.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:41 AM

If you study it, you can see that it is constructed using diagonal strips. Graphing them should be fairly easy if you study it a bit.