Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help!--Need To Find A Pattern.

Yesterday, I asked for prayer for my grieving sister, whose fiancee just passed away in a motorcycle accident. I've been quilting through my grief today when it struck me to make a quilt for my sister. I've been soaking up my DH's hugs since the accident but her sweet love is no longer there to hold her in her sorrow. A quilt would mean so much to her.

Her favorite animal is an owl. I'd like to do a quilt with his picture in the center block and then some owl blocks surrounding it. A while back I saw a pic of an owl block and thought of her but never acted on it. Also, wondering if anyone has any patterns for hugging owls. Any help would be appreciated. The quilting would be so therapeutic for me right now and I know the end result would greatly comfort my sister. Thank you for any help you can offer.

Blog Entries
    I am an owl person also. I'm sorry to hear of your sisters misfortune. In my younger years my DH and I rode bikes. It is much too dangerous on the roads today so we gave it up. I found these which made me smile and may help her.http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item...Fabric--m-2710 and these blocks
    http://www.quilterswarehouse.com/p-1...bage-rose.aspx

Blog Entries
    www.silverliningsoriginals.com has some lovely wild life pp patterns.

My symapthies and best wishes to your sister. I think a quilt is a wonderful idea.

So sorry for your family,,,,
    Here is a link for some beautiful fabric. I purchased it, washed and ironed it already..its so worth the price $2.99 a yard!
    http://www.corinthianmills.com/cn0064.html

Here's an owl pattern I purchased recently. Scroll down...

http://www.louisestudio.com/qpatterns.html

I am so sorry for you family's loss. A quilt sounds like a wonderful idea.

Blog Entries
    I wish I could help but I do not have any Owl fabric. God bless you and your sister.

My heart goes out to your sister and you. Two weeks ago sunday, my dh was in a motorscooter accident, he is in rehab now with 5 broken ribs, scapula and broken ankle.
    A quilt will be a wonderful thing , for both of you. Hugs

Thanks so much everyone! I hadn't thought of using owl fabric but they're so cute. I think they'd make adorable borders and a great backing.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like a great idea. SO sorry for her loss. My best friend lost her 32 year old son. He wrecked his new Harley on the way home from picking it up and his wife and daughter were riding in the car behind him. Motorcycles are so undafe but then again so are cars, etc. You are a good friend to her for thinking of a quilt to provide her with missed hugs. AS far as the picture, I think I would cry everytime I saw it and we would hope she would find a new love eventually. The owls sound wonderful too. My prayers to you both.

Dee
    Sorry for your loss. I saw an owl on Clotilde.com site. Hope this helps.

So very sorry for your lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Baby Yow
    Here's an owl pattern I purchased recently. Scroll down...

http://www.louisestudio.com/qpatterns.html
    This is such a great pattern in the metaphorical sense. The owl - DBIL - is looking down over all of his little mushrooms - his loved ones -

Blog Entries
    Fatcat patterns has a whimiscal pattern for owls. Otherwise, depending on the amount of detail you are looking for, google "colouring pages" they usuallu have some pretty cool ideas. Good luck and I hope this info is helpful. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your sister.

Power Poster
    Sorry for your sisters loss. I have and idea, maybe you could use some of his shirts in the quilt also.

Quote Originally Posted by SueDor
    Sorry for your sisters loss. I have and idea, maybe you could use some of his shirts in the quilt also.
    Thanks so much. I was thinking of this but my sister still hasn't even brought herself to wash his clothes that were in the hamper when he left that night. I just can't ask that of her right now. But, I was thinking of waiting a few months and then maybe asking her or letting her know that when she does feel comfortable, I would be happy to make quilts for all her sons out of the clothes...to remember their father by.

Blog Entries
    So sorry for your loss. All the family greaves.

The Corinthianmills fabric is so great that I just ordered some.

In greaving my frame of reference is "Everytime the loss comes to mind...it is a hug from him."
    Quilter68

Thank you so much for all of your love and support at this time. I found a nice owl coloring page that I'm going to adapt into applique pieces and I've started collecting some cute purple fat quarters to use. Then I'm going to get some of the owl fabric from one of your links for a backing. I've decided to leave out a picture of him but perhaps save that idea for a memory quilt for their sons.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Baby Yow
    So sorry for your family,,,,
    Here is a link for some beautiful fabric. I purchased it, washed and ironed it already..its so worth the price $2.99 a yard!
    http://www.corinthianmills.com/cn0064.html
    Ok!!! I shouldn't have looked at that site!! Oh my!! ended up ordering before I left it.....

I am so sorry to hear of your loss!! and sympathies to your sister, how tragic, how sad. The process of the quilt being made will certainly be great therapy for you. Good luck, prayers to you, your families and your sister!