Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP - Need name of block >

HELP - Need name of block

HELP - Need name of block

Old 02-03-2013, 05:40 PM

Default HELP - Need name of block

I'm going to be making a signature quilt for my son and future daughter-in-law for their wedding. They're having their guests sign squares of fabric at the reception instead of signing a guest book. I found a picture of a quilt that has HST's for the corners of a block. Can anyone tell me the name of this block? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-03-2013, 05:58 PM

It is called the signature block!!! Here are some different versions of it: http://www.equilters.com/library/PFP...turblocks.html - I think the heart one is great!!!

ETA: if the block had a HST in all 4 corners, it would be a snowball block. If it is in 2 corners that are across from each other, it is a signature block
Old 02-03-2013, 07:29 PM

When you take the blocks to the wedding, be sure to iron freezer paper to the back of them. It will make the fabric stable and easier to write on. I made on for a relocating boss, and it was a very special project!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:45 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

If you make the triangles in the corners of the squares a little larger than half the width of the base square, it will give the finished quilt a ribbon effect.

For example, for a 6" large square, cut your corner squares at 4".

I use a Pigma pen in the 05 size to write on the fabric; this slightly larger than usual point tends to snag the fabric fibers less. You will need several pens if there are more than, say, a dozen people signing with them, to be sure you have enough ink.

I also back the base square with an ironed-on piece of freezer paper (Reynolds brand from the grocery at Walmart.)

This is the graph of one I made but can't find the photo of it at present. The corners were a very pretty roses on pale yellow, and the centers were a very pale pink.
Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails siggie-block-quilt.jpg  

Last edited by Jan in VA; 02-04-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:08 PM

I would also suggest either making a template or marking lines. People will sign all OVER a blank block. They wont' get that you need seam allowance either. Ask me how I know! I tried this for my DD when she graduated from high school and was on her way to the AF Academy. People wrote dissertations all the way up to the very raveled edge!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:42 PM

DD had me do signature blocks for her wedding. I used a rail fence variation, ironed freezer paper (seam allowance smaller)) to the back. Some guest still wrote to the very edge, even though it was explained to only write where the paper is. They are not quilters, they do not regularly write on fabric (holding pen on the fabric will cause it to bleed?).
So now my DD has a wedding signature quilt with the end of a name missing, or part of a word is down in the seam or extra dark spots where the pen 'rested'. Oh well, it is what it is.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by soccertxi View Post
I would also suggest either making a template or marking lines. People will sign all OVER a blank block. They wont' get that you need seam allowance either. Ask me how I know! I tried this for my DD when she graduated from high school and was on her way to the AF Academy. People wrote dissertations all the way up to the very raveled edge!
you could have an attendent at the place where the quilt is just like someone who would tend to the sign-in book. for straglers, you could leave the instructions, and hope for the best.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:03 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

Agree, spread around a few card stock cut sized open rectangles...if the message does not fit in the template..the message is too long! Same size with seam allowance. Tape an example on the table. :0)