Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: help needed with a design dilemma please

I think a green pulled from any of the flower leaves or stems. And I might go with a solid, or something that reads solid. I do think a peach or pink cornerstone would be lovely.
    Anita in Northfield, MN

Blog Entries
    If you use a darker color, the blocks will pop. G

Blog Entries
    I agree with HelenS. I did this recently with a baby quilt I was making. I couldn't find anything in my stash to make a sashing strip. I finally took the whole quilt top shopping and let it choose one. And I came up with a winner.

Peachy pink and a medium green pulled from the picture. I wouldn't use blue

You could even just sew the blocks together as is & then put maybe two framing boarders around them. The first one a thin border & the second much wider.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzan88 View Post
    I was given 9 of these blocks to use for a Linus quilt. Someone went to a lot of bother to make them so I want to make something nice with them but they look like shadows against any other color I've tried so far. All my fabrics are bright - well mostly - and yellows, ginger, green, white...all make the blocks look grey.
    Any suggestions from people with a better eye for color or design would be much appreciated.

Attachment 343981
    I would try a light pink, or whatever that light color is on the roses.
    Joey

The Seven Dwarves of Menopause

Itchy, Bitchy, Sweaty, Sleepy, Bloated, Forgetful and Psycho

green set on point

Yes, like others I would use a medium green and use it as a sashing/lattice around each block, thinking that would pull it all together poping the other pastel colors, then a pink as a border/binding.

I would say a pastel: either pink or green. The cornerstone idea would be good, but definitely stay with softer colors.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Suzan88;5309200]I was given 9 of these blocks to use for a Linus quilt. Someone went to a lot of bother to make them so I want to make something nice with them but they look like shadows against any other color I've tried so far. All my fabrics are bright - well mostly - and yellows, ginger, green, white...all make the blocks look grey.
    Any suggestions from people with a better eye for color or design would be much appreciated.

Attachment 343981[/QUOTE

Suzanne My thoughts would be perhaps a soft mint green or peach. Use either color and the other for a cornerstone. I would just frame each block with sashing and use both colors for the binding. What are you planning for the backing? You could make a reversible bindind, using both colors that you decide on the sashing. Reversibles are easy and quick with no mitering for corners.If you should be interested in the reversible binding pm me and I will give you directions for doing this. I learned to do this method from Sharon Pederson's "Reversible Quilts Two at a Time" I love it. I just finished the Hope's Rose Garden" quilt king size that you can view in the quilt picture section, and I used this method for the binding on her quilt. I plan to use it a lot from now on. It lays very good with the seam it has. Beautiful blocks, good luck. If you choose not to go with sashing between the blocks, and just sew them together as they are you will develop another pattern that will go with the blocks. This would really be coo, then add borders in the colors of the blocks. I am always trying to make different patterns in my quilts when I put my blocks together. I love that challenge. Gerbie
    Last edited by Gerbie; 06-24-2012 at 09:27 AM.

whatever you decide please post a picture so we can see......

If all else fails use a soft cream my work. I often use it as my fall back and have NEVER been disappointed. I know one should never say NEVER, but to date I have not regretted my use of cream in these kind of touchy can't decide situations.

This would be my choice. Very nice blocks!! Please show us when completed!

Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
    IMHO, absolutely green! with pink corner stones!

UI'd like a medium green.

I like the pink, peach and the light to medium green idea, to pull out the pastel colors in the blocks.

Blog Entries
    I like Quiltingpeg's idea. I think it would work really well with the flowers. A sort of grandmothers garden.

How about cream frames around the blocks then offset with green sashing (i.e.: w/9 patch border of cream & green), then add cornerstones with the pink/yellow in a small print or floral with green leaves?

My first thought was a soft lime green.
    The one who dies with the most fabric wins.

Blog Entries
    peach! unless that's pink. (allowing for different monitors)
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2