Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help with needle threaders..

Help with needle threaders..

Can anyone please suggest a good, strong needle threader ? I'm doing a lot of hand embroidery right now with 2 strands of floss. Even though I'm using large eye needles, it's hard to thread them. I've broken 5 of the cheap, made in China tin type. I bought some on ebay that looked stronger, but after they broke, when I took them apart, nothing but the same cheap tin type inside the plastic finger holder.
    It takes me forever sometimes to thread a needle without one.

You can make a "V" with dental floss, put it thru the eye of the needle, put you thread in the V, then pull back thru the eye.

Blog Entries
    I put a loop of regular poly thread through eye of needle...then place your emb thread end in the loop and you can pull it through easily. Is that clear as mud? This is the method I use for quilting thread. Have had the same luck with threaders!

I have the same problem. Home-Sew (homesew.com) offers "flexi-needle threaders" that appear to be monofilament loops requiring no metal holder, so nothing to break. They are 35 for $3. The item # is N718 (the easiest way to find things on the website).

KLO
    Blog Entries
    bea2, I have had that same problem and this is what works for me:

http://www.amazon.com/Needle-Threade...eedle+threader

You can buy these at JoAnn's or probably just about any fabric/quilting/thread store. It is strong and easy to use. Hope you find what works for you.

There are other versions of this just so you know but they are all sturdy and won't break when you try to pull the thicker threads through the eye of the needle.

Power Poster
    I got this one free with a cross stitch book and as long as the eye is big enough in the needle, it works great. I don't know if they sell them in smaller sizes.

Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah, I had the same problem with those needle threaders breaking all of the time. I was buying them whenever I had a coupon at JoAnn's and yet I was still often "out of stock". Their cost really added to my hobby's expense . I finally bought a spool of very fine wire in the jewelry section of JoAnn's. I simply crimp the wire about an inch and a half from the end while it is still on the spool. I put that crimped part through the needle eye and just use my finger tips to hold the two wires together on one side of the eye while I thread my floss through the resulting wire hole. Then, pull the floss through the eye as you would if using those purchased needle threaders. When that wire breaks, I throw the small piece away and make a new crimp from the remaining wire on the spool. To keep the wire from making a jumbled mess because it wants to come off the spool, I put a hair clip on there. After 5 years I have used barely any of the wire so I am sure I now have a lifetime supply!

this is the one I use.
    Quote Originally Posted by KLO View Post
    bea2, I have had that same problem and this is what works for me:

http://www.amazon.com/Needle-Threade...eedle+threader

You can buy these at JoAnn's or probably just about any fabric/quilting/thread store. It is strong and easy to use. Hope you find what works for you.

There are other versions of this just so you know but they are all sturdy and won't break when you try to pull the thicker threads through the eye of the needle.

I have had good luck with the threaders used to floss under a dental bridge. That have a big loop to put the thread thru. They are not expensive and worth a try. Good Luck. JIL
    Happy Quilting Grandma of 15, 3 Greats

I have one similar to the one shown in pic. Have to really search for those, I found one at michael's in the emb thread section and another at Hobby Lobby. I gave up on those darn cheap wire things..this is a two sided "hook"like thingy that is really great.

Clover makes a fantastic needle threader and I use it all the time for my wool appliques. All of my friends got one after me and love it as well.
    http://clover-usa.com/product/0/8611...idery_Threader

I have one that I just love. Unfortunately, I do not know who makes it but they are at most quilt shops and come in a variety of colors. Its a little gadget that sits on the table, you put your needle in it and push down a lever. It threads perfectly each time. Couldn't live without it. Good luck

Blog Entries
    When i buy a pack of needle threader i frist use a Dab of crazy glue on the back where the wire is on the little silver thing i've been using the same one" threader" for eons ....Hope this helps

Some really good ideas and not expensive gadgets either. I like the one explaining loop of thread through eye of needle and pulling floss through with loop, will try that!