Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help with patchwork bag please!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Hi everyone,

I'm going to a quilt group for the first time next week and suddenly realised I didn't have a bag to tote my sewing stuff in - so I started making one!

I've made and quilted two pieces but I've no idea how to join them together :oops: ; obviously, I don't just do it right sides together cos then I'd have raw edges on the inside?!

I plan to make two fabric handles as well but no clue how so any tips gratefully appreciated!

I've also prepared a little pocket to slipstich inside for those bits and bobs!

All help much appreciated, thanks guys!

K x
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    French seams

Wrong sides together with the tiniest seams you can while catching all layers then turn it right sides together and stitch again.

To get a flat bottom on the inside pull the seams together making a little triangle and stitch straight across depending on how wide you want it to be. Do both sides the same depth though.

Clear as mud?

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Ummmm - sorry to be monumentally stupid, but what are they? I should know - I live in France ha, ha!

K x

Blog Entries
    I have a tutorial for it on my blog.

http://quiltingadd.blogspot.com/2008...te-part-2.html

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Doh, sorry Mary, only saw French seams before I replied! Don't completely get it though, could you try again in words of one syllable? Thanks a lot.

K x

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Oh pics, great! That I can understand! Thanks both of you!

k x

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Saw your blog Sharon, your bag is great but I did notice you still had raw edges on the inside; is this a problem or not? i'd be worried that I'd catch the batting pulling stuff in and out and wear it away?

k x

Blog Entries
    Yes, there are raw edges on the inside. Making it lined was beyond my capabilities. LOL

So far, there haven't been any problems. I did go back and double stitch the bottom seams of the bag for extra durability.

Why not make a lining for your bag? That will cover your seams and you could even add pockets to the lining.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, I'm hopeless at this sort of thing! Chele, would I just make another 'bag'' slightly smaller, fit it inside and slip stitch round the top? Or not?!!!!

K x

If you're like me, I need pictures! If you Google "tote bag tutorial" you'll come up with quite a few.

Here's one that shows the lining and boxed bottom (which took me FOREVER to figure out without pictures!) LOL!

http://craftywench.typepad.com/knitt...asy-tote-.html

P.S. It's super easy once you do the first one. You'll see. If I could figure it out, anyone can!

Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Sorry, I'm hopeless at this sort of thing! Chele, would I just make another 'bag'' slightly smaller, fit it inside and slip stitch round the top? Or not?!!!!

K x
    Yes, make another bag like a linging, then sew and binding around the top. Real easy. Thats what Ido. but before I put the lining in I add a couple of small pockets to the side. Marge

THIS IS FROM A SITE CALLED 'SEW NUVAEU'. DID I SPELL THAT RIGHT/
    FRENCH SEAMS

Step 1
    Make note of the of the difference between the “right” and “wrong” side of the fabric you are using. The nature of a French seam's construction requires that you be aware of the difference during construction so that they are properly oriented in each step.

Step 2
    With the right sides facing out, pin material together, pinning entire length of edge where the French seam will be.

Step 3
    Stitch a 1/4" seam allowance along the entire length of the edge pinned in Step 2. Remove pins after the seam allowance has been sewn. Note: contrasting thread shown in photo used for clarity only.

Step 4
    Cut seam allowance (sewn in Step 3) to within 1/8" of stitches. Although you may use pinking shears, they are not required. The cut edges will be protected (and hidden) by the completed French seam.

Step 5
    Unfold with the right sides up. Press entire length of trimmed seam allowance, pressing both edges flat and to one common side. DO NOT press seam open! Be sure to use a setting on your iron that will not damage the fabric.

Step 6
    Fold material along newly created seam with wrong sides out.

Step 7
    Press entire length of seam flat at fold on wrong side. Be sure to use a setting on your iron that will not damage the fabric.

Step 8
    With wrong sides out, pin folded material together, pinning entire length of pressed seam created in Step 7.

Step 9
    Stitch a 3/8" seam allowance along the entire length of the edge pinned in Step 8. Remove pins after the seam allowance has been sewn. Note: contrasting thread shown in photo used for clarity only.

Step 10
    Unfold with the wrong sides up. Press entire length of seam flat to one side. Be sure to use a setting on your iron that will not damage the fabric.

Step 11
    Give yourself a pat on the back. Note that the right side of the seam is neat and flat. On the wrong side, the cut (or pinked) edges of the seam created in step 4 are now concealed. You're done[b]

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone for your help! My bag is finished, I used Mary's technique in the end cos it looked the easiest! :-)

But the link from Chele showed me how to do the straps - I would NEVER have though of putting batting in them, knew I was saving those little strips for something :wink:

I have also slipstitched a little pocket inside;

Thanks again all!

K x
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    It is beautiful!!!!!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    thanks Mary, couldn't have done it without you!

K x

Blog Entries
    Very nice.

Looks good!

good job! I love tote bags! :-)

I really like it -- need my address :roll: :roll:

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Thanks all - love your signature Joyce, great rules to live by!

K x

Very nice job! Really like your tote bag. I'm working on my 6th one now. They really make nice gifts too.

McCall's Quilting, April 2009 issue features "best bag pattern ever", looks very similar to the one you just made. Think I'll try it. Thanks for sharing.

pretty pretty!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone - must remember to use it when I go to the Dutch chintz fabric shop in Amsterdam (see links page) - it was made with their charm squares!

K x

Your bag came out great!! I am glad you were able to get the help you needed from your fellow board members--aren't these ladies just the greatest ever??? :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast