Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with Pattern Choice >

Help with Pattern Choice

Help with Pattern Choice

Old 09-06-2021, 10:34 AM

Default Help with Pattern Choice

My granddaughter is a Peter Pan fan and I've had this fabric for years without a real plan. Now she is getting married and I want to make a wedding quilt using the Peter Pan fabric. I've been thinking of a double wedding ring but can't quite picture it. Please help with your suggestions for a pattern that will show off the fabric. I have yardages of everything except the accent piece of red which is only a meter.
Attached Thumbnails p1040359.jpg  

Last edited by b.zang; 09-06-2021 at 10:53 AM. Reason: add photo
Old 09-06-2021, 11:02 AM

Oh i love the red most and of course you don't have a lot of that one. So maybe something that will let you show off the red in the center of blocks.....
Old 09-06-2021, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

There's more of the red fabric here if you're interested.

Old 09-06-2021, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

I think I would go with a pattern where you didn’t cut the feature fabrics into small pieces. I might do one of the BQ Nation patterns from Maple Island Quilts.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:51 PM

I agree with Tartan. If the focus of the quilt is the Peter Pan theme, then make the fabric the star of the quilt.

If you still want to do the double wedding ring pattern because she's getting married, maybe use other fabrics for that, since they'll get chopped up so small you won't be able to tell they're Peter Pan prints.
Old 09-07-2021, 05:06 AM

I think you could certainly do a double wedding ring with those fabrics (although as pretty as the red is, I don’t think it works with the others for this project). Use the white for the background, and if you have enough fabric, fussy cut some of the centers to really showcase the design. Do scrappy blue rings and green rings, adding some other med to dark blues and greens. Again, fussy cut some of the ships in the blue and the other motifs to show then off.
Old 09-07-2021, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

Bonnie Hunter has a group in at her Quiltville Inn. Several of the group downloaded the Kira pattern by Gundrun Erla of GE Quilt Design. Go to Bonnie’s Quiltville site to see several colour combos to see if you would like to try it. It features a circular design made from 19 inch square, quite intriguing. I may dig through my stash and download the pattern myself.
Old 09-07-2021, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

Sorry, typo! The size should read with 10 inch squares not 19!
Old 09-10-2021, 05:40 AM

I too believe the fabric should be the star of the quilt so I would use any star pattern. Two come to mind for these fabrics. The Missouri Star and the Ohio Star. The blocks don't all have to be the same. Let the fabrics dictate where they will be placed. I would also add black as the background color to make the stars shine.