Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with a pattern >

Help with a pattern

Help with a pattern

Old 06-30-2010, 10:00 PM

I am planning to make two memory quilts and I need a pattern for each. I have the panels for My Daughter and also the one for My son. I am planning to use these with different pictures from their baby pictures to current pictures. I want to use different quotes from the panels for different pictures. Does anyone have an idea of a simple pattern that won't take away from the pictures or quotes so much. I have an idea to frame the pictures with fabric pieces and perhaps frame the quotes with a different fabric than that used for the pictures. The pictures will be in color, and I have the fabric already for my daughter - soft greens, solids, water color looking fabric and small prints all in greens. (her favorite color). Not sure yet what fabric I will use for my son. I can't post pictures since I am not sure what pattern to use. Most of the pictures will be 8x10's. The quotes are varing in size from about 4x6 to 5x7 or so. I am thinking I will use about seven or eight pictures for each quilt. I know everyone is loaded with ideas, so help please! Also what quilting should I go with so as not to mess the pictures up? Gerbie
Old 06-30-2010, 10:12 PM

What about a shadow box pattern?
Old 06-30-2010, 10:13 PM

At the link below, check out a pattern called BQ and also BQ2. I've done the BQ pattern and it's quick, lets you have space in the big blocks for your photos, and looks great. BQ 2 is very similar but I've not made it yet.

http://www.mapleislandquilts.com/quiltpatterns.asp
Old 06-30-2010, 10:17 PM

I have found the 8X10 pictures show signs of wear faster than 5X7 and smaller. My printer seems to give me richer colors on the reduced pictures. I'm not an expert, just sharing my experience.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:21 PM

O. K. I hadn 't thought about that. I'm sure can figure out how to reduce the pics.in size. By doing that I could add more pics. Thanks so much.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:21 PM

Where would I find a pattern for a shadow box block? Thanks
Old 06-30-2010, 10:23 PM

Thanks i checked out the site for BQ2 at Mapleisland. Thanks bunches, I may end up going that route. I knew someone would come up with some ideas.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:54 PM

I think the batting will also be important. Some battings require 3" of space between quilting lines, and there are a couple that go out as far as 10". But, if it's going to hang, I'd be concerned about it drooping over time with quilting lines 10" apart.

Hope this helps with the final product :) They sound as though they will be wonderful.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:56 PM

I am also looking at making one for my MIL's 80th birthday.
These are some ideas I have come up with so far, I think this is a single irish chain pattern

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-37126-1.htm

I think this is a nice idea too with plenty of room for photos, quotes or feature fabric,

http://www.eeschenck.com/i/0/pattern...ory_Quilts.pdf

Or these patterns by Lisa Moore would work really well with photos instead of feature fabric, there are quite a few here that would work.

http://quiltswithatwist.com/store/re...hp?category=15

Hope these help
Old 07-01-2010, 12:14 AM

As far as the "block" (pics ets) I would lay them all out on the floor the way u want them leaving at least 3 inches in between and fill in the open spots with sashing. They will be different sizes, some bigger some smaller. U can even use different fabrics and make it a little scrappy. I never decide how I'm going to quilt until my top is all done.