Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • help with piecing >
  • help with piecing

• help with piecing

Old 10-21-2010, 01:33 AM

I am making one of Rhondas blocks in my quilt. I have never worked with small pieces. The pieces are 1 1/2 to make a 6" block. Are there any short cuts or pitfall I should know about when using such small pieces. Have 2 blocks together and they are very nice but they take FOREVER to put together and cut.
    Old 10-21-2010, 02:46 AM

Vicki - there have been a few threads concerning Rhonda's tiny blocks. I am not brave enough to personally try any of them myself but I know a lot of others have been...
    I'm sure someone helpful will pop in soon... til then, I'd just click on search and see if you can pull up some hints on making miniatures.
    All I do know is that you're suppose to use 1/8 for a seam allowance. That isn't much help and I only know that from looking online for the add a quarter rulers and saw that they sell an add and eighth as well for making miniatures...
    Old 10-21-2010, 03:39 AM

Im doing a Dear Jane quilt and those are small 4" blocks.
    when piecing those tiny pieces, I sew them together using tissue paper underneath......... between the fabric and the feed dogs....... keeps them from being 'eaten up' by the feed dogs
    Old 10-21-2010, 05:32 AM

Rhonda has great tutorials for her blocks. Try those out. If that doesn't help, ask Rhonda. She's a friendly lady and will get you going.
    Old 10-23-2010, 03:46 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by whinnytoo
    Im doing a Dear Jane quilt and those are small 4" blocks.
    when piecing those tiny pieces, I sew them together using tissue paper underneath......... between the fabric and the feed dogs....... keeps them from being 'eaten up' by the feed dogs
    Great tip! Thank you :D:D:D
    Old 10-23-2010, 03:56 PM

If you don't hear from Rhonda soon (sometimes she has computer issues, land line) use our search field for "postage stamp squares", "1 1/2" squares". Send a pm to some of the members in those post. AbbyQuilts is one of the members doing them. zennia is also and she is online now.
    Great post. I would love to know the tips and tricks. The tissue paper was great information. Good luck to you..
    On Edit: I don't know if you are still on your edit time and if your not a moderator could do it for you: Have your title changed to "Help with piecing 1 1/2" squares". It will really make a difference. We just don't have time to read all the post so we go to the ones with our expertise or interest first.