Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help please - baby panel quilt -need some  advice >

Help please - baby panel quilt -need some advice

Help please - baby panel quilt -need some advice

Old 06-24-2011, 04:48 PM

Hi everyone! I saw an adorable panel last night for a little boy- flannel prints in chocolate, powder blue and light green with white. It has terry applique puppies on the front. Very cute and I am so behind in sending my cousin a first bday gift- so I bought that panel and a matching pieced square fabric for the backing. They both have minky throughout. I bought warm and natural batting too. Then after I bought it , I thought- how do I quilt it? I have no fabric for the binding , so should I use basting spray , pin and sew it right sides together and turn it out? Then how on earth would you quilt it by machine?
Should I just forget the quilted backing and buy plain minky for the backing? Then quilt it the same color as the plain minky?
I was trying to save time and thought I could do it fast. LOL
thanks so much for your advice!!!!!! Lisa
Old 06-24-2011, 04:58 PM

For binding I use fleece binding on baby quilts, might be over kill with all that yummy minkie. I'd use a solid pice of minkee on the back and simple out line of front design quilting. Good luck. I'm soooooooo behind in baby quilts, Its not funny
karen
Old 06-24-2011, 05:14 PM
Power Poster

Do you want quilting on the front ? if just on the back I would take the warm n natural and the backing quilt them together- then put right sides together sew around most of the edges- turn it right side out stitch up the opening and be done with it - you could still stitch some on the front once it is together to hold it all in place
Old 06-25-2011, 05:14 AM

I bought a panel like that before. I spray basted the panel to W&N and spray basted the back (I used flannel backed satin). This I just hand quilted around the figures and such. Turned out great.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:07 PM

Thanks so much Karen, Sharon and Jane!!!!! I appreciate all the information! I am going to make it with a flannel back and try to machine quilt it with brown bias binding. I hope it turns out! I do love the matching patchwork backing - but just want to finish it and machine quilt it.Have a great week and thanks so much!