Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help Please with a Brother SQ 9185 >

Help Please with a Brother SQ 9185

Help Please with a Brother SQ 9185

Old 03-28-2015, 12:22 PM

Default Help Please with a Brother SQ 9185

tears,tears and more tears..... I purchased a new machine the brother sq 9185, got it all set up and can't get it sewing correctly... The bottom thread is making small loops.... I am using a 11 needle, coats and clark all purpose thread I have tried moving the needle all the way right, all the way left no help....I think I have tried everything, used the tension adjust dial, tried rethreading nothing any ideals ? Thanks
Old 03-28-2015, 12:36 PM

can you post a picture. are the loops on the top or bottom. Have you tried adjusting the tension dial in small increments on the top of the machine. A picture would help since some of us have similar machines. You might even have to adjust the bobbin case. Did you buy it from walmart, if so you should be able to exchange it, you just might have got one that was not set at the factory correctly
Old 03-28-2015, 03:38 PM
Power Poster

Is the bobbin thread making small loops, or are there small loops on the bottom (back). If the loops are on the back, it usually means the upper tension is off. When threading you may be missing the tension loops, or not lowering your presser foot. When you thread, you normally are told to have your presser foot up, so there is no tension on the discs and your thread will easily pass between them, when you get all the way down to the needle, you put the presser foot down to apply tension and thread. If you are doing all this, you might have something caught in the tension discs. Put the presser foot up and try 'flossing' between them with some heavy thread.
A good way to tell if it's the upper or bobbin thread is use different colors in the top & bobbin.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:15 AM

When I wind my bottom on my brother I have to make sure my bottom is back in its holder when putting it back where it goes or I will have the same problem. It has to lay perfectly flat
Old 03-29-2015, 07:34 AM

I find mine does weird stuff if the thread from the bobbin isnt feeding correctly. You should be able to see it through the clear plasitc crossing over the bobbin to where it comes out. Sometimes mine doesn't do that and it just messes everything else up. Sometimes I have to try a few times to get it to feed right.